This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Diya Sharan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Here Is Why You Should Not Let COVID-19 Ruin Your Present

More from Diya Sharan

The world is in a dark place. A halt. Shh. A disease has spread which has brought unhappiness and pain globally. “We are on a house arrest,” “ it’s like a prison now” – these are some of the thoughts harbouring in their minds. Did you notice how much of the external world affects our mind?

It can be overwhelming for some, however, an amazing experience for others in the ‘new normal’. How about changing our perception to something that will finally bring our minds rest? People are struggling to find happiness. Now is the best time to involve yourself in a variety of activities.

Sit down, maybe lie down and think about all the memories you have ever made in the past. It could be camp memories with your friends and teachers, your graduation day, the first time you won an award, the first time you explored a hobby which eventually became your talent, the best party you attended and so on. Maybe now is the time to reflect on those joyful and golden days and be thankful that you got those opportunities!

Before this mishap, I had never engaged in meditation, mindfulness, and actually practising gratitude. I ensure that every night I sit down and through the app ‘Dhyaan’ I meditate. Why not make good use of modern technology? While I lay down at night to sleep, I thank everyone who helped me get through that day and show gratitude. This helps me regain peace in my mind and removes all negative and repulsive thoughts, it cleanses me. Detoxification is an important task that we must inculcate as part of our daily routine.

Meditate
Meditation helps me regain peace in my mind and removes all negative and repulsive thoughts; it cleanses me.

I am giving time to myself through listening to loud music, sketching and thinking about all those people who play an integral role in my life. Most of all, I am giving time to my friends and family who are all a part of my life now.

Think about it, earlier, in our bustling, on-the-go and happening life we hardly made time for our family and friends in other cities. Moreover, don’t you think the community is also coming together to help each other emotionally? I believe now is the time to do things that you could not achieve before.

Watch a movie or T.V series, maybe romantic, who doesn’t like romance? In fact, the world is half the time always at war with each other due to religious sentiments, politics and a million other unwanted reasons, so this is what we all should do – spread love. It can be through simple compliments, a hug and spending time with one another (of course, virtually). Laugh at the funny things that happened in the past instead of being serious all the time. Make amends, forgive and love instead of parting ways. Stay in touch instead of losing touch and this can all be possible with the help of our mind.

Why should we waste our time on being upset and complaining about the bad things in life? If we start controlling our thoughts through gratitude, half our problems and sadness will diminish. Let us assert ourselves and scream:

Why should I let this virus ruin my present? 

Of course, I’m not saying ‘go party and expose yourself’, follow the necessary precautionary norms and enjoy life. Unfortunately, we must remind ourselves that we all have to restrict our needs for some time. Ask yourself to calm down and have patience.  Remind yourself profusely that ‘it’s just a phase’ or ‘it’ll all pass’. After all, dark clouds don’t last forever, the happy clouds are on its way.

All we need to know is how powerful our mind is. It can either bring us to a happy place or unhappy, we need to bring it to the bright side of life by controlling it. Let us not let the mind riot, we cannot let our thoughts and emotions overpower us!

Last but not the least, no matter what happens, despite calamities, we have to ensure that we don’t lose our minds but know the worth of our minds!

More from Diya Sharan

By Aakash Deep

By Jyotì Pali