This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anjali Pillai. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This Is Why The Malayalam Cinema Is So Good

More from Anjali Pillai

Come on! You can not deny that this Onam was fascinating. The teaser of Minnal Murali directed by Basil Joseph (this would be his third film) has just rushed us with great excitement, leaving us all pumped about the film. If only a one-minute sneak-peek of the film can leave us all on the edge of our seats, imagine the welcome the entire movie will receive. The teaser of Minnal Murali is undoubtedly impressive.

It has not been long since the fringe group destroyed the Minnal Murali set. The entire Minnal Murali crew received overwhelming support across social media from the country.

For Indians, the first idea of a superhero never went beyond Shaktiman, per se Krrish. And now we have Minnal Murali whose superpowers are not yet evident. Until now, it was hard to imagine a superhero film in Malayalam. Now, What is different about this superhero film is how the serene backdrop of Kerala has been unhampered and how raw the characters seem.

Superheroes come with costumes, but in this one-minute teaser, we only see a bit of his costume getting stitched and not the superhero himself wearing one. The editor of the teaser sure does now how to gear up the curiosity among the audience.

The well-received teaser was shared by many celebrities including Arjun Kapoor, Vijay Sethupathy, Keerthy Suresh, Rana Daggubatti, and many more. The happiness metre of Director Basil Joseph seems to have doubled with India’s much-loved superhero Krrish aka Hrithik Roshan shared the teaser on his social media account. To add on, the director of recently released action-thriller extraction, Sam Hargrave, also shared the teaser. Okay, we have now grabbed the Hollywood attention!

The one-minute teaser of Minnal Murali gave so much without actually giving away a lot. It just assured us that we are in for one hell of an experience.

The film Minnal Murali is produced by Sophia Paul.

C U Soon/Photo: DNA

An Alternate Narrative In The Time Of Pestilence – C U Soon

Now coming to another Onam treat, C U Soon, that was released yesterday. C U Soon is cinematic evidence of “Modern problems need modern Solution”! This film was aptly made for an OTT experience. With just limited access to locations and crew, this film has redefined storytelling.

While the entire film fraternity is perplexed about the current scenario preventing them from making films, C U Soon shows how you can transcend any limitation without compromising on quality content and ensures a visual treat.

The entire film moves through the characters’ phone screens. We are even taken to outdoor locations, like the police station through Google Maps. The whole movie depends solely on technology.
How the characters gave their finest performances also needs to be mentioned here. Since the trailer of C U Soon released last week, we are pretty sure that the film is taking a road less travelled and attempting a new cinematic experience. And after watching the movie yesterday, the final verdict is familiar – simply brilliant.

With the pandemic and lockdown forcing the filmmakers to step down for a new time and swallow their plans, it is a relief how filmmakers are coming up with an alternate narrative and keeping up the spirit of Indian cinema. As much as we can claim that maybe something good is coming out of the pandemic, such films are a ray of hope in these times of destitution.

More from Anjali Pillai

By Apurva Chavhan

By heena singhal

By Prerana Sharma