This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Melanie Dhar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Thinking Of Switching To Cloth Pads? Here’s Literally Everything You Need To Know

More from Melanie Dhar

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

Lack of access to menstrual hygiene products is a problem that affects menstruators all around the world. With limited knowledge about and access to safe and sustainable menstruation products and practices in India, many menstruators resort to using unhygienic and unsustainable alternatives. According to this survey, disposable sanitary pads are the most common product choice among menstruators in India, with 71% confessing to using them. 

However, disposable sanitary pads form a veritable amount of waste as they are generally neither compostable or biodegradable. With new innovations in the field of menstrual hygiene products, many brands have come up with alternative and sustainable alternatives to the disposable pad, the cloth pad being one among them.

What Is A Cloth Pad?

Cloth pads are a type of reusable menstrual hygiene product made of multiple layers of absorbent fabric (usually cotton or hemp). Like conventional sanitary pads, they are worn in the underwear but can be washed, dried and reused.

Credits: Eco Femme

Why Should I Choose A Cloth Pad Over A Disposable Pad?

For the environment:

An average person uses around 12,000 to 16,000 disposable pads in their lifetime, and each sanitary pad takes around 500-800 years to decompose. If you do the math, that sums up to a lot of waste piling up in landfills and water bodies, posing a serious threat to sanitation workers and marine life. A cloth pad, being reusable for up to 5 years, is a sustainable choice for the environment as it significantly reduces the amount of waste produced and can biodegrade easily.

For a pocket-friendly investment:

While the upfront cost of disposable pads may seem less in terms of monthly expense, you actually end up spending thousands annually on pads that end up in the trash after each use. On the other hand, cloth pads are a one-time investment that last you for up to 5 years without spending any more money.

Bonus: you can make your own cloth pad following this tutorial

For your health:

Super-absorbent pads pose a risk of contracting Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria releasing toxins in the bloodstream Conventional sanitary pads often contain unwanted ingredients like fragrances, dyes, adhesives, chemical gels which can cause irritation and may even be potential carcinogens. Switching to a cloth pad means choosing a natural, organic, chemical-free and safe alternative which is good for you and your body.

For comfort:

Using a cloth pad means saying goodbye to uncomfortable itchiness, pad rash, and soreness as they are made of breathable fabric and will not dry out or disrupt the pH level of your vagina. The best part: they feel just like wearing regular underwear!

What Are The Cons Of Cloth Pads?

Maintenance:

Cloth pads are comparatively harder to maintain than disposable pads as they need to be washed after each use and require drying before they can be used again. In addition to that, menstruators may also find it ‘shameful’ or embarrassing to dry cloth pads out in the open due to the ubiquitous stigma surrounding menstruation.

Inclusivity:

Trans-men and non-binary people may undergo gender dysphoria with regard to menstruation, which makes it difficult for them physically and psychologically. Cloth pads are generally not tailored to fit boxers or briefs, as they need to be buttoned around panties. A better alternative, in this case, would be gender-neutral period underwear, sold by brands such as Thinx.

Frequently Asked Questions

• Do cloth pads leak? How often do I have to change?

Cloth pads are designed to hold the same amount of blood as regular disposable pads. If you undergo heavy flow, choose a night pad as it can hold more blood than a day pad. Just like any sanitary pad can become saturated and leak after a long time, cloth pads can too. They need to be changed every 2-6 hours, depending on your flow. 

• How to wash cloth pads properly and remove blood stains?

Cloth pads can be washed easily under cold water with a mild soap or in a washing machine. An easy trick is to keep the pad soaked in cold water for around 30 minutes before washing, as most of the blood comes out during the soaking process.

• Are cloth pads safe and hygienic to use?

Cloth pads are absolutely safe to use when they are washed properly, dried in sunlight and stored in a hygienic place. Any infections arising from cloth pads could be a result of poor maintenance, such as improper washing or drying.

• What if clean water is not available to wash cloth pads?

Cloth pads require the same amount of water for washing as any regular undergarment. If clean running water is scarce in a region, then cloth pads are not a feasible option for menstruators. In most rural regions of India, menstruating people use old rags or cloth during menstruation. 

• Where can I buy cloth pads online?

A few sustainable menstruation brands sell affordable cloth pads on their websites. Eco Femme has a wide collection of cloth pads and panty liners made of organic cotton (starting at Rs. 235). Pee Safe also sells reusable cloth pads along with a wide range of other sustainable menstrual hygiene products (starting at Rs. 449 for a pack of two cloth pads). 

More from Melanie Dhar

By heena singhal

By Manaswini Panigrahi

By Syama Sasidharan