This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shashi Sinha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Where is Corona?

More from Shashi Sinha

Your Blogger while strolling in Sandy’s Compound (it is our equivalent to Mumbai’s Shivaji Park or New York’s Central Park), Bhagalpur (3rd largest city in Bihar) in the morning, is amazed that a large number of people, be it men or women, youth, elderly (50 plus ) are taking a brisk morning walk on daily basis. Though some of them are found explicit of their requirement of masks, many still feel uncomfortable to wear a mask while walking (ostensibly keeping into their pocket). Large gathering (at times more than 800-1000) feel it free to walk around, some even feel happy that they are walking, owing to last 3-4 months confinement in their respective houses. 

Men/women/children who are by virtue of being human in nature, find it very difficult to keep themselves confined in four walls of their houses, and their presence in the morning (0430 hrs to 0730 hrs) gives them a sort of freedom from boredom as they enjoy this mass gathering. I also found it interesting that among the large crowd in Sandy’s Compound, at least 40 % of youth (male/female) are running/jogging and keeping themselves in good health. When enquired further, it was learnt that a large no. of youth (both girl and boys ) are in search of police job/ army (where one of the main qualifications is physical fitness including running and various types of exercises. Girls too are oblivious of their presence and it is felt that they are here to get themselves fit and sound and are candidates to get govt jobs. Actually, they largely fit into the slogan called Beti Padhao ( this slogan fits in the working of Nitish Kumar (CM Bihar ) and PM Narendra Modi ). In real terms, girls are breaking the social barrier, encouraged by their parents, and therefore, are in the wee hour at Sandys compound. ( This place is very famous among residents of Bhagalpur as jogger paradise, located in the heart of town. The place is named after it colonial masters (perhaps the then collector of Bhagalpur ).

The moot question is whether the above people who are in hordes, are carefree and does not feel that Corona, in any way running in their mind while taking a walk among large no. of people. Most feel that they are getting pure oxygen while exercising and Corona will not affect them. Though, a large number of people express that after returning to the home they change their dress and take bath and thus adopting countermeasures to defeat Corona. Most of them believe that they would not get affected by Corona as they are taking enough precautions. 

To sum up, life is going on, for some, it has started running and for girls and boys, they are here to prepare for competitive examination (physical fitness ). Such a scenario, I am sure, is now prevailing in every city as people are fed up with corona and challenging the mighty disease. If we recall the scenario of fag end of March, April, May, June 2020, people were afraid to come out from their houses but as we say the proverb, we are after all human and can’t be kept in cages. My only submission to a large population is that always keep a safe distance and cover their mouth with masks as going out is the need for livelihood. 

More from Shashi Sinha

By Masai School