This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Pravin Gupta. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Exam-Obsessed, Ambiguous And Stressful: Why We Must Eliminate Online Classes

More from Pravin Gupta

Well, this is a very clear topic unless you are one of the victims of the side effects of online classes. But, to explain this to those who haven’t yet realised that the culture of studying online is a curse (it would fit much better if I claim it as the main source of suicidal thoughts), will not be as easy as it seems. Since I have fathomed the harsh reality behind virtual classes through my own experience, I can surely say that you will relate to the points that I have made below.

Not everyone can afford a smartphone or laptop or an efficient internet access

Look, I am being very honest in this point. I am very grateful to God that my family’s financial condition is good and we can afford everything. But the problem I often face is the deteriorated server between mine and the host’s. Though the strength of my network remains good, the quality of internet turns out to be poor. Thus each and every time, I fail in jumping into my online class.

Students are getting nothing out of online exams

A very less number of students are taking it seriously, and study for their exam only because online classes offer you nothing except sucking your precious time, and when it comes on knowledge, that becomes a dream.

Cheating

To be honest, online exams are like getting “free ke marks” (scoring high marks without studying a lot). Students can cheat from anywhere they like (Internet, books, notes etc.). Though it sounds cool, it’s not good at all for students who have board exams at the end of the session, especially for me. They should prepare for their boards because “Board me kuchh bhi free me nahi milega (one is not going to get marks without studying well and hard).”

Image of a child holding a phone and writing in a notebook while studying.

Increases mental stress

My own experience is enough to explain it better. Let me elaborate. Like I said earlier, I don’t have good Internet connectivity, thus I don’t take classes on a regular basis, however, I try every day. Without considering my situation when I tell them my reason, my teachers blame me that I intentionally leave the classes. This disturbs me. That’s fine with me, but there are many students who are taunted for this by their parents as well. They think that their children deliberately miss their classes, while they have a genuine reason of not being able to attend.

Furthermore, heavy assignments, continuous online classes and then exams — this has become an issue of stress for students. In fact, many students die by suicide due to these reasons — a 16-year-old from Assam, 14-year-old Karthik from Medavakkam, and the list is endless. A recent national report revealed that 35% of total deaths by suicide have been due to improper access to digital education.

No motivation

Almost every student is scoring 90% in their online exams, so the students who actually study for their exams don’t feel motivated enough.

Causes confusion during exams

If tests are conducted on Google Forms, then exams require the perfect answer, and so, you can’t write the answers in your own words. Basically, you will be compelled to use rote learning . . . wait, shit! “Tum to hamesha se hi ratta marte ho. Main bhi na, bhool jaata hun (Oh, man, I forgot, you’ve always used rote learning)!”

Overall, I am giving a school fee and learning nothing in return. Okay, I don’t have any problem with online classes as we don’t have an option. We have been left to just give exams, but there should be some changes in the process. It’s just becoming a waste of time as teachers are rapidly completing the syllabus so that they can then take exams. That’s why not many students are able to understand the concept of a chapter.

Created by Pravin Gupta

Should online classes persist?

More from Pravin Gupta

By Devina Singh

By EDU WORLD

By Priyank Sharma