This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Charkha features. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Here’s How Journalists And Social Workers Can Apply For Sanjoy Ghose Media Awards 2020

More from Charkha features

With the aim of providing a platform to writers who have the zeal to go beyond the usual and highlight underreported development issues of women living in rural areas, Charkha – The Development Communication Network, a Delhi-based nonprofit organisation, has announced the ‘Sanjoy Ghose Media Awards 2020’.

A total of five awards of Rs 50,000 each will support winners for a five-month term during which they will be expected to conduct in-depth research and produce impactful articles focusing on little-known strengths and travails of women in remote but significant parts of India.

The Awards are inspired by Charkha’s founder Sanjoy Ghose, who has worked towards social and economic inclusion of rural marginalised communities through the creative use of media. The idea is to create an opportunity for writers to delve into the challenges faced by women of rural disadvantaged communities and reflect the status of development as perceived by these women.

Applicants will have the option to choose a specific theme from the following five categories and submit a detailed proposal.

1. Challenges Faced by Adolescent Girls in Rural India
  2. Violence Against Women
  3. Migration of Women from Rural India to Urban India
  4. Maternal Health Care in Rural India
  5. Role of Women in Decision Making at the Village/Tehsil/Block/District Level.

Five awards will be given, one under each of these themes.

Eligibility Criteria

• Journalists from small, regional language publications or non-metro areas are encouraged to apply. All articles must be generated from India only.
  • Women journalists are particularly welcome.
  • Applicants must have demonstrated commitment to the development concerns of the less privileged in society through their previous work.
  • These awards are open to all Charkha trained writers
  • The candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to a career in journalism and should have covered the issue in the past.
  • Previous Charkha Fellows and writers currently availing benefits of any other fellowship or a similar scheme of financial assistance are not eligible to apply.

Application Guidelines

Applications for the Award Programme can be submitted in English or Hindi.

Applicants must include the following in their submissions:

• Brief curriculum vitae with details of work experience, educational qualifications and awards, and fellowships held in the past three years.
  • A proposal of approximately 800-1,000 words that will outline the particular thematic area in which the applicant would like to work. This should include details regarding the specific geographical location of the study, methodology, relevance of the theme selected, as well as the impact expected from these articles. Also mention the contribution the study can make to the larger development debate in the country. Please also specify the language of communication. Articles will be acceptable in English, Hindi or Urdu.
  • Clippings of two articles must be sent along with the application. One recent (published during the last two months) and another article of the applicant’s choice.
  • Two references with contact details. Letter from the editor/head of their current organisation approving the candidate’s application.
  • Freelance journalists should include two letters of recommendation from editors or media personalities familiar with their work.
  • All applications must be typed. Handwritten and incomplete applications will not be considered.
  • All articles will be published only after being approved by the editorial team at Charkha.

Last date for receiving applications will be October 15, 2020. Further details are available at www.charkha.org. Applications to be sent by email to mario@charkha.org with Subject: ‘Application for Sanjoy Ghose Media Award 2020’. Contact Mario Noronha at 07042293792 in case of queries.

Featured image is representational.

More from Charkha features

By Internshala

By Internshala

By Surej