Youth Ki Awaaz is looking for an enthusiastic and capable Policy Programs Manager with a focus on climate change, forest and energy-related policy frameworks in India, and a voracious appetite for social media and news content pertaining to policy issues around climate change. You’ll be working very closely with the Programs team at YKA to engage and manage relationships with India’s key decision-makers at the local, regional and national level to connect the Youth Ki Awaaz community with policymakers and facilitate a dialogue between the two.
- Monitor and analyse India’s policy issues at the intersection of climate, development and other local developments impacting India’s commitments as a part of the Paris Agreement.
- Represent Youth Ki Awaaz in meetings with policymakers, Government, institutional stakeholders and civil society actors.
- Work with the programs team to create programs which build confidence amongst the community as well as decision-makers on the advantages & value of the two connecting on common platforms.
- Work with YKA’s Programs team and external civil society partners to create easy to understand policy information and content for everyday citizens.
- Work with cross-functional teams across editorial, social media and video across the company to ensure that programs are advancing external understanding around key climate policy.
- Build creative partnerships with advocacy groups, academia and industry bodies.
- Represent Youth Ki Awaaz and communicate YKA’s positions on key policy issues in public presentations to a wide range of audiences.
Skills and qualities required:
- A Law degree or Public Policy degree with a focus on Climate Policy, or experience of working with a policy organisation or policy-focused fellowship programs.
- 3 – 5 years experience in related areas of public policy such as legislation development and/or advocacy.
- Keen understanding of political systems and relevant policy and civil society institutions as well local language understanding of the context in India.
- Good judgment, communication and persuasive skills, creativity, perspective, the ability to work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment.
- High level of collaboration and cross-functional skills.
- Experience in policy engagement or development for a national corporation or institution or policymaker.
- Ability to drive and manage multiple projects and campaigns simultaneously.
- Ability to think, plan, and execute resourcefully and creatively.
- Focus on impact and execution.
- Passion for connecting the unconnected, and experience with relevant policy issues, including renewable energy, disenfranchised communities, small and medium businesses, etc.
- Fluency in both written and conversational English and Hindi with superb written communications skills (writing samples required).
- Fluency in technology and a passion for Youth Ki Awaaz’s mission.
- Passion for creating social change and interest in various social issues and a keen inclination towards current affairs.
- Experience and willingness to work with a diverse set of people with different abilities and understanding.
- A willingness to take risks, fail, learn and adapt.
- Excellent writing and communications skills, and a working knowledge of Hindi is preferable.
- Excellent organisation, planning, coordination and multitasking skills.
- Ability to approach targets with a holistic perspective and the ability to adhere to deadlines.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, market-standard
About Youth Ki Awaaz:
India’s largest youth media platform with over 4 million monthly readers and thousands of writers, enabling a space for young people to speak up on key issues. The platform is fuelled by young, passionate individuals mainly in the age group of 18-35 years. Comprising social entrepreneurs, citizen journalists, student leaders, individuals creating change at the grassroots, innovators, writers and researchers, this community has created on-ground change through digital advocacy, started offline movements, online trends and nationwide conversations.
Send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com with ‘Climate Policy Manager’ in the subject line.