This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Bindita Sinhä. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Feel It’s Time We Stood Up For Justice, Join My Human Chain To Do Just That!

More from Bindita Sinhä

Living in the biggest democracy with no discrimination of caste, creed, financial status or gender, aren’t we? These days it seems that the average society is depressed about the current justice system. I am sure that this feeling is not just limited to me. We expect the Indian judiciary to give people the tools for self-governing as well as a clear direction to the path of humanitarian justice. We expect a fair and unprejudiced approach for everyone irrespective of their race, status, caste, gender or any other form of discrimination that exists.

But, I am utterly frustrated with the current social system of our country. I think our responsibility towards the common people facing exploitation and the judiciary is more at such  times. It’s time we demand justice! That’s why I have started an online campaign where we form a ‘Human Chain’ to show solidarity. We are demanding justice for every rape victim. I have also started a petition on change.org.

Well, it’s not about a single case, it’s about all of them! As a woman, I really feel insecure in the present situation. You perhaps are thinking that I am safe, then why am I bothered? Yes, probably I am right now, but I don’t know for how long I will be safe. You may be thinking I am overwhelmed because of the recent Hathras gang-rape incident, and what I am doing is not worth your time. But it’s not just about a case; it’s way more than that!

Here’s An Eye Opener:

India recorded an average of 87 rape cases daily in 2019, and overall 4, 05,861 cases of crime against women during the year, a rise of over 7% from 2018. The latest government data was released on September 29, 2020. The official data from the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) shows that one rape is reported every 15 minutes in India, even though in 2013, the criminal law amendment act was passed which criminalized sexual offences like acid attacks, voyeurism and stalking, and also introduced a 20-year sentence and death penalty in extreme rape cases.

Well, this is just the number of registered cases, what about the unheard, suppressed and unregistered cases? What about marital rape? Ironically marital rape is another dark side of our society where the groom thinks “Ye mera haq hai, ye meri aurat hai!” (This is my right, she is my woman)

Why I am Doing This?

Because I am a woman, and I feel insecure. Also, please note that I am not ‘categorizing’ rape as something that happens t0 women only. Rape, sexual assault, etc., are heinous crimes that happen with men too, and usually, those cases never make it to the news.

Therefore, I am starting a “Human Chain” on different kinds of social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram with a hashtag WE WANT JUSTICE FOR EVERY RAPE VICTIM along with a petition in change.org.

I feel this is the least I can do because I don’t have the legislative authority. I am not a prominent person or a celebrity; I am just a common citizen who feels responsible for whatever is happening in our society.

With the hope of changing at least one person’s mind, I have started this petition. Even though I knew that these things don’t make a lot of difference, I don’t want to regret in future thinking that I didn’t do anything!

It is easy to sit and comment on others, but what’s more important is what you are doing for a change. I also feel that an exemplary punishment should be given to those who are unreasonably using their power to delay or disregard the process of justice.

Democracy must be established in the legal system and judiciary throughout the country.

Images provided by the author.

I need your help to make my petition reach more people, help me by signing it:

https://bit.ly/3laBdaz

Help me take my campaign forward. You can visit my social media pages here:

https://www.facebook.com/bindita.sinha.5

https://www.instagram.com/callousbindita/

More from Bindita Sinhä

By Prasun Goswami

By Prerana

By Rushalee Goswami