This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shemu Siller. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Do Indians Think Periods Are A Stigma?

More from Shemu Siller

Talking about my first periods, I got it when I was 11. It was a Sunday when I was sitting in the drawing-room watching a movie. Suddenly I felt something really weird down there, and I checked myself in the toilet. I couldn’t accept what I saw. I thought I had cervical cancer.

Though my mom had explained to me about “that time of the month“, I had already forgotten the whole thing. It was quite unexpected. I still can remember my confused face when I stood in front of the mirror and said “I’m gonna die,” in a weak voice. I could feel the freely flowing sweat through my chest. I could feel my heart pounding faster. And adrenaline rush was all over my body which gave me continued goosebumps.

When I remembered the actual thing, I told my mom, and she fed me with ladoos and jalebis (Indian sweets). I took a day off from my school to chill. The story is pretty good. Isn’t it?

Talking about Indian beliefs regarding menstruation, the topic is a little taboo, I suppose. People in India really lack sex education.  I’ve heard that in some small towns, and slums, if a girl is getting her first periods she would be kicked out of the house and she is supposed to stay in a small hut all alone. She is not supposed to touch anything, or no one can go beside her.

I’ve heard and read news about marriages as soon as a girl got her periods. Mostly this occurs due to the pressure of relatives and neighbours. Some parents actually consider girl children as a burden. It is a great Indian belief that if your daughter is married early, then it is like a weight being lifted off your head.

Menstruation Hygiene Products

Another thing is that she can’t have male friends. If she has any, then she is characterless.  She can’t go with her friends for too long. She can’t wear what she likes because she is a girl who has got periods. She is not a small girl anymore.

Periods are considered as a case for eve-teasing and mocking. If a girl is walking and if there is a stain on her skirt, people mock, tease, and gossip about her instead of telling her the thing.

Another thing which I can’t understand is how menstrual cups affect one’s virginity. No one till now had claimed that their hymen broke because of tampons or menstrual cups. I think it is actually the most comfortable and easy way to deal with our periods.

I’ve seen many Indian mothers using cloth as a pad. For one use it is fine, but chances for bacterial infections and vaginal infections are more if we are reusing it. So for menstrual hygiene, it is more advisable to use a pad, tampon or a cup.

When it is coming to sex, periods are being used as contraceptives. But actually, I’m afraid that’s not right. No one can assure you that if you have sex in “that time of the month” you will not be pregnant. Chances are there for pregnancy just like other normal days. The most convenient and comfortable way is to use protection (like a condom or taking a pill).

Some girls don’t even know what is happening to them every month, or why are they bleeding? They are just doing things, just exactly their parents say. In most of the homes, talks about menstrual cycles are a taboo. I don’t think Indian Mothers will be free to discuss this topic just like a normal thing with a cup of coffee along with their family members.

And I’ve seen many parents ignoring most of the questions of children saying that “It’s not your cup of tea”. In my opinion, it seems terrible. Because a human being is not superhuman, they also have doubts while they are growing. I don’t think that ignoring them makes any sense.

There is no problem in masturbating while you are on your period. Most people believe that masturbation is wrong. Instead, it ceases cramps and gives sound sleep. Masturbating doesn’t make your periods earlier or delayed. It is done only for a self-pleasure by self-stimulation not for getting periods early. Drinking lots of water, consuming dark chocolates, and exercising makes you feel good on your period days.

Be happy to bleed because it is a great thing which nature had prepared for us. I really know how painful the cramps are but try to embrace your feminity. By the way, best of luck for your next month.

More from Shemu Siller

By Tanushree Ghosh