Porn Addiction And Its Aftermath In Men

Designed primarily to exploit the age-old mammalian response that perceives each novel female, virtual or otherwise, as a genetic opportunity to propagate. The advent of internet porn has made it feasible for every Tom, Dick and Harry to view ten times the number of so-called ‘hot babes’ that their ancestors could not even dream of seeing; in not one, but various lifetimes.

The name of the game if one were to put it rather is dopamine. The snare seeks its strength from this ‘go get it’ neurochemical that the brain generates promising a renewed rush with every click or better still tap. With the surge in handheld portable devices, this has made access to this dangerous realm, literally a child’s play.

As a consequence, many find themselves shackled to, what is commonly known as Arousal Addiction, a debilitating and authentic form of bondage to debauchery, whose symptoms mimic a range of disorders. A collapsing and highly unreliable memory, a highly compromised attention span, social anxiety, depression, performance anxiety, not to mention OCD, to name a few.

Erectile Dysfunction in the case of serial porn abusers is now becoming increasingly rampant and is a genuine threat to what most men would like to preserve more than life itself, their manhood.

I say a few because the badgering that the soul receives from a single encounter with porn is beyond measure. The less said, the better about the devastating effects of a continued and prolonged tie-up with a disease that promises to rob one of any and every vestige of dignity.

Addicts of the more than ample, swarms of filth that infiltrate the internet, wave after wave, with not just alarming regularity but also an equally, if not more, distressing alacrity. They have been known to suffer endlessly at the evil hands of a tool that has the potential to wreak havoc.

Zombies in the making, with a highly desensitised pre-frontal cortex, and an equally numbed zest for life and social interaction – the results of oversaturation, penultimately, lead to an aversion towards sex of the normal procreational as opposed to the recreational kind. The kind that was intended by mother nature to keep the extraordinary saga of humanity alive and kicking.

It would be somewhat naive on my part to extoll the virtues of quitting with immediate effect before die-hard addicts. I have just two words or preferably two alphabets for the prudent amidst their clan to hopefully stop them dead in their tracks: ED.

I believe the smart ones shall agree that it is too high a price to pay for a few minutes of selfish and rudimentary pleasure.