This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mohtashim Syed. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Fallacy Of Unconditional Love

More from Mohtashim Syed

One cannot incinerate a million hapless people and then expect to be showered with divine mercy. At the very core of our relationship with the creator himself lies a condition; the condition of being good or at least striving to be good. The earthly bonds that we share are an obvious extension of this divine order.

A mother, for example, looks at what she has begotten as an extension of herself and bestows the utmost care and compassion at her behest on the offspring under the belief that the progeny shall reciprocate her affections when the time comes. The father comes a close second.

Noteworthy it would be to consider that human bonding even at its zenith is not without prerequisites. Those languishing at the hands of the uncaring and uncompassionate times that we live in, left to fend for themselves by the very people they nurtured with every ounce of blood and sweat at their disposal, cannot be expected to sing paeans and rain good wishes on the ungrateful wretches. These unfilial scoundrels care two hoots for them.

The ties between a man and a woman likewise are founded on the tenets of mutual respect, understanding and honouring of a lifelong commitment. Any breach of the aforesaid, especially in the form of infidelity is more than likely to cause disruption and angst of the highest order. Love in such cases flies out of the window. Sowing one’s wild oats is not a very wise strategy, especially when in wedlock.

Then again, there is a reason why a friend in need is deemed to be a friend indeed. Casual affiliations based on time-bound and circumstantial wants have seldom been found to stand the test of time. The essence of a true and lifelong friendship is based on the condition of being there when needed the most.

Turning the other cheek as an offering of unconditional love and magnanimity before a marauding animal hell-bent on causing death and destruction on a grand scale, a monster that knows no reason, would not be the most prudent of a move. One, after all, needs to stay alive in order to spread the message of love and compassion.

I am in no way asking you to hate those that hate or even develop a bitter taste for their likes. We already have a burgeoning army of haters as it is. I simply want you to realise that love surely comes at a cost. The best part is that the price is never too high to pay.

More from Mohtashim Syed

By Abhishek Chaudhary