This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shambhavi Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Can Education Bridge The Gap Between The Developed And Developing India?

We are all aware of the fact that the world looks at india as a developing country rather than a developed country ever since we were born.
And education is a discipline that helps in the development and growth of a nation.

One of the major reasons behind this is the lack of education in our country, which is then leading to a major problem of poverty that India has been facing ever since Independence. The acquisition of knowledge training and skills is quite essential in finding a suitable and well-paid job. An illiterate person in India is hardly able to get a low productivity, low-paid job. To get a well-paid job is a rosy dream for them.

According to Hunger Index, India’s rank in poverty stands at 102 out of 117 countries. Infact, countries such as Myanmar, Pakistan and Bangladesh ranked higher than India in the year 2019. It has been estimated that more than half of the country’s population lacks basic literacy. Poverty drives people to send their children to seek work as they are deprived of education and healthcare, as a result of which the vicious circle of poverty perpetuates.

Poverty → no education, less capabilities, no healthcare → no skills → low-paid or no jobs → poverty

school girl reading book

Until education is not taken seriously for the population living below the poverty line, our country will not be able to come out of the phase of struggle and become a developed country. Poverty is not just an issue of hunger, but also a major issue of unemployment, lack of sanitation, health facility, quality life, violence and corruption.

This is why education is incredibly significant for the full-scale development of people’s skills, mindset and social behaviour, so that they are at least able to fulfill one’s need.

The illiterate and uneducated population faces social exclusion. They face exploitation by society as they get less pay despite working for hours. However, India is now getting better with its national literacy rate and coming up with awareness plans for students at different levels with schemes including Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat, School Chale Hum, Yuvika. These programmes work towards ensuring that people living in poverty aren’t deprived and benefit with the endeavour of learning morality and ethics, as it has been added to curriculum. But these plans are still not being implemented properly as the vast section of the country is still struggling to find education.

The lack of education and awareness leads children to criminal activities at an early age, making the situation only worse. The role of education to help poor come out of poverty is a major step to change the current status of our country. It has been found that most domestic violence cases are found in the unprivileged section of society, where women are sexually assaulted by their drunk husbands or family members.

An educated society can improve the health status and sanitisation conditions of our country. Economic independence will lead to a better quality life and a better nation. Nelson Mandela once said, “Education is the most powerful weapon to change the whole world.”

This is why education is important in order to eradicate poverty from our nation. Let’s contribute on our level to bring this change.

More from Shambhavi Singh

By Youth Action Hub- India (Delhi)

By Imran Hasib