This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Imran Hasib. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Will The Court Uphold ‘Personal Liberty’ For Kamra As It Did For Arnab?

More from Imran Hasib

Dissent is the safety valve of democracy. If dissent is not allowed, then the pressure cooker i.e. the democracy, may burst”, this is what honourable judge of the Supreme Court D.Y. Chandrachud had said in August 2018. Well, the applicability of this statement in judicial sphere remains exposed in the light of the recent series of contempt cases initiated against stand-up comedian Kunal Kamra and earlier against noted lawyer turned activist Prashant Bhushan for scandalizing the apex court.

On one hand, the court stands up for the freedom of speech and expression of selected journalists like Arnab Goswami against the Maharashtra government but on the other, it stifles criticism against itself. One may argue dissent and contempt to be two different words which cannot be equated but contempt happens when a person willfully disobeys a court order (civil contempt) or when they say or do anything that scandalizes, prejudices, or interferes with judicial proceedings and the administration of justice (criminal contempt; what constitutes ‘scandalising’ is undefined in the act though, leaving it up to the judges to interpret).

So what? Shouldn’t the court ensure that its credibility be maintained in the eyes of the general public? Of course, yes.

The onus of establishing trust and respect in the eyes of people needs to be on judiciary itself by pronouncing unbiased judgments based on facts and not on the popular demands as has appeared in the casual attitude of the top court in hearing PILs on significant issues like the constitutionality of annulment of Article 370, arbitrary detention of journalists like Siddique Kappan under draconian Unlawful Activities and Prevention Act, 1967 (UAPA).

While Justice D.Y. Chandrachud’s concern for personal liberty is appreciable, the constitutional guarantee of equality before the law to each and every citizen of India appears compromised. At a time when bail pleas of journalists like Mr Kappan, human rights activists like 80-years old Varavara Rao and Sudha Bharadwaj are being rejected time and again despite their deteriorating health conditions, Arnab Goswami roams free within a week of the arrest.

This highlights the gulf in access to justice between ‘privileged’ and ‘not-so-privileged’ citizens of the country.

An Arnab Goswami having the support of the establishment gets bail within a week while 84-years old Fr. Stan Swamy, a patient of Parkinson’s disease, is told to wait for 20 days to get a straw and sipper as his hands shake while holding glass due to the ailment. It is in this backdrop that one needs to see the tweets of the political satirist.

As the SC is all set to initiate the contempt proceedings against Kamra post-Attorney-general KK Venugopal’s approval, it will be interesting to see how the top court reacts especially when Justice Chandrachud, while granting bail to Arnab pointed out that although he may not watch his channel, the court is committed to securing his personal liberties.

Drawing parallels from the same, can we expect SC to remain as open to freedom of speech and expression in Kunal’s case as it claimed earlier? Will the court ignore its own criticism and acquit Mr Kamra? Certainly, this case will set precedents in the times when every other person has a smartphone and is putting up their opinions freely. Will SC stand by its own judge’s remark regarding dissent cited above or will quell its own criticism even if it is constructive?

More from Imran Hasib

By Soumita Sen

By Zakir Ali Tyagi

By Nafisa Hasan