This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Meharmeet Kaur Thandi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

These Women With Body Dysmorphia Tell Us Why Language Around Periods Is Important

More from Meharmeet Kaur Thandi

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

Normalizing the language around menstruation will come only by accepting the fact of it being a natural process. This parlay can be achieved once we begin by conveying correct information on menstruation, as a natural process that happens to every girl. Much of the information is being imparted by mothers, which does not fit into the current scientific discourse.

Science Is The Solution To Stereotypes Around Menstruation

Notions like “pait mein anda phootna”, (an egg blasting in the stomach), “ganda khoon” (dirty blood) have become the common archetypes about periods. Distinct mythological sagas, folklore are the significant socio-cultural beliefs deeply embedded in the Indian psyche.

The practise of engaging in scientific dialogues around menstruation should be embraced wholeheartedly. The dialogue should start from the school level wherein teachers especially science teachers (gynaecologists can be roped in) should transmit authentic information to students by elucidating the scientific terminology pertaining to menstruation and the biological processes associated with it. Young girls should be encouraged to indulge in meaningful reading on menstruation, menarche, puberty from the age of 9 or 10.

Many women are not aware of the functioning of the reproductive system as in, where does the period blood spring with. Misleading information has potential consequences on their psyche in terms of, internalizing patriarchal stereotypical notions, dealing with body image issues, the inability of coping with bodily changes, and most critical aspect, lack of awareness about symptoms of menstrual disorders which can be attributed to the stigmatization of their bodies during menstruation, poses a serious threat to their reproductive health and overall wellbeing.

Representational image

Social Media Is Reaching Out To More And More Menstruators

The pathological ignorance around menstruation which comes from shame towards this phenomena has been dominating the discourse and has led to some serious problems like crippling the health and honour of women. Some studies have highlighted the plight of some girls missing school on the pretext of menstruation. 

Many feminists, social activists, and enlightened youth are making constructive use of social media and other modes of information and technology with the endeavour of providing safe spaces to women for engaging in meaningful dialogues over their experiences in dealing with stereotypes, taboos associated with period blood, menstrual pain, physical and psychological turmoil during menstruation.

In an attempt to examine the meaning of the menstrual cycle in diverse cultures and religions, the common origin of almost every socio-cultural entity is seeming, “Patriarchy”. There is a multi-institutionalized footing whose cardinal factor is Patriarchy which nurtures these taboos for exerting control over women. 

The Taboos Have Led To Shame Around A Normal Biological Process

In my own social transactions, I have come across women using words like date, aunty, monthly crisis, for periods. The shame expressed around periods creates a feeling of sisterhood which reinforces their sense of womanliness. This collective understanding of womanhood and womanliness needs to be critically examined and debated.

Because this acts as a barrier for talking about periods in front of male members of the family. The women who utter the words like menses, periods are preyed on, in the form of obnoxious looks from their elder female relatives which makes it difficult for girls to express their feminine concerns in the familial context.

This further propagates self-doubt, stigma which manifests in the form of hatred towards the period blood and her body image during menstruation, as well as depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues.

Surprisingly, on the other end, women have been made to feel that periods are a source of some kind of a divine superpower that happens to them every month.

But, looking from a multifarious lens, menstruation has a different and more complex language when it comes to women with body image issues such as body dysmorphia. 

Body Dysmorphia Arises From Cultural Conditioning By A Patriarchal Society

For centuries, women’s worth has been evaluated on the basis of their external appearance, physicality, sexual appeal, more than their calibre. From the patriarchal angle, we are still thriving in the hollowness of such hazardous connotations. This comes from chronic cultural conditioning which is deeply embedded in patriarchal structures.

But, internalizing such beliefs can be perilous to our mental health, taking the form of Body Dysmorphia. It is a psychiatric disorder that consists of the rejection of one’s physical bodily self, which is absolutely based on the anticipated societal evaluation. It is also associated with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder which carries unwanted thoughts and repetitive behaviours. Body Dysmorphia creates a deep disruption in individuals’ lives. 

Such deeply problematic beliefs and attitudes have been instrumental in the genesis and aggravation of psychological problems like, low self-esteem,  body image issues, body dysmorphia, eating disorders. The intensity of such psychological scuffles gets escalated by the stigmatization of menstruation because, in body dysmorphia, the menstrual body would taunt the already existing negative body image of that individual.

The stigma needs to end right at the grassroot level

A few women having body dysmorphia have revealed their strife with periods. One says, My body dysmorphia gets worse during my period. I lucked out, in a way, seeing as how my body doesn’t plague me with physically crippling PMS symptoms too often, but mentally? My menstrual cycle takes a major toll on me in that respect.  Combine that with the emotional turmoil that is a woman’s period, and you really have a potential recipe for disaster.”

Another says, “Listen, I know myself, and Julia on her period is unlike any other Julia you’ll meet. What’s interesting about the mood swings I experience during my menstrual cycle, though, is that sure, once in a while, I’ll unintentionally take them out on my husband or a friend, but most of the time, that negativity is directed at my own body.”

The Problem Can Be Worse For Adolescent Menstruators

During adolescence, the experience can be more challenging with the symptoms manifesting during the second two weeks of their menstrual cycles. The symptoms can make teens feel very unfamiliar with being themselves, as they’re abruptly overwhelmed with symptomatology such as: feeling low, depression, overwhelming apathy, excessive fatigue, brain fog, and irritability. These symptoms have the potential to hamper daily functioning, that they often lead to teens experiencing sudden challenges with concentrating and completing schoolwork, problems in relationships, and low self-esteem.  Teenagers also feel ashamed about their unwelcomed symptoms, which further makes it tougher to handle it. 

Angana, in her talk on Youth ki Awaaz, has asserted that there is a dire need of altering our attitudes and perception about period blood by striking a fine balance between belief about menstrual blood being “ganda khoon(dirty blood) and a sign of superpower.  It’s high time for us to appreciate menstruation as a normal physiological process.

Also, it is very crucial in this hour to inculcate positivity about menses in young women by celebrating it. Normalizing the language around menstruation has been the bone of contention among feminists. The approach towards this topic should be more inclusive towards women battling with body image issues, body dysmorphia and even transgenders should be a conspicuous part of this thought. 

More from Meharmeet Kaur Thandi

By The Bleed Eco Project

By The Bleed Eco Project

By The Bleed Eco Project