This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Jaishree Malik. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Does India Want To Know About Menstruation?

More from Jaishree Malik

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

Menstruation is a concept that despite learning about in school, most people don’t fully understand. The easy internet access has made it easier for people to search up on topics they are embarrassed about. It would also be natural for people to ask their doubts on the internet.

For instance, questions on Quora.com range from career advice, to cooking tips; everything you can imagine under the sun. So, I decided to look up the five most searched questions on menstruation on Quora.

What Do People Like To Ask?

Unsurprisingly, the topmost question I found when searching for ‘menstruation’ on Quora was “What is the menstruation cycle? Can anyone explain it to me without using complex biological words?“. By asking not to use “complex biological word”, one sees that scientific jargon is making this topic inaccessible. That people have to resort to Quora to ask questions about a subject matter that is taught in middle school is a grave commentary on our education and schooling system.

How can I, as a single father, teach my daughter about menstruation?” is another popular question. It is encouraging to see that fathers are stepping up for their daughters in roles considered feminine. It indicates that they are comfortable enough with their masculinity to seek information on how to help their daughters in situations that perhaps both of them do not fully understand. The advice given by other people on how to approach the topic is also constructive.

Asking The Real Questions

Leaving the obvious questions aside, I did stumble upon some intriguing ones as well. “Is menstruation a thing to be ashamed of?” The fact that people have to ask whether a normal biological process is something to be ashamed of is disturbing. It is symbolic of how ingrained the cultural toxicity and the baggage regarding menstruation is, and how far we still have to go in order to normalize it. Nobody would ask if having an erection was something to be ashamed of.

Why is menstruation considered a taboo in India?” It’s a simple but significant question because it challenges the traditions and customs passed down through generations, which have, for so long, gone unquestioned. Its answers are revealing too, there are few direct answers, most claim it’s a taboo and stigma because of the ignorance around periods. So maybe we have right here, a simple solution to lessen the stigma?

Do transgender people ever menstruate (get periods)? What sorts of trans people, and how?” It is an interesting question, and not just for the subject matter. The answers to this particular question are detailed, informative, and easy to understand. It requires a certain level of comfort with the topic of menstruation. By de-gendering menstruation, it also seems to be becoming a more inclusive concept. The question indicates an acceptance of trans people too and an attempt to not see them as ‘other‘.

The internet is one of the best resources we have today to learn about anything we want. It is available right at our fingertips, through all the electronic devices we use- it doesn’t get easier than this. It’s heartening to see that people are recognizing gaps in their knowledge and are willing to use this service to get to know the facts about menstruation.

The questions on periods are indicative of what we as a community do and don’t know about the topic. It gives a starting point as to where we need to make rectifications to normalize menstruation conversation. But this is just the beginning.

During the pandemic, we’ve been forced to rely on this technology more than ever. We are just starting to understand the scope of the technology in our hands, and what all we can do with it to disseminate correct and useful information. In the coming times, this will be the way to reach everyone in a comfortable, efficient manner, and to ensure that everyone has access to all the correct information they need.

The author is a part of the current batch of the #PeriodParGyan Writer’s Training Program

More from Jaishree Malik

By Rigya

By Syama Sasidharan

By nehamanu.yka