This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Wani Bilal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Lockdown Has Helped Us Learn How To Live Better

The worldwide disruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic or pestilence has resulted in numerous impacts on the environment and the climate. The decline in planned travel has caused many regions to experience a large drop in air pollution. In China, lockdowns and other measures taken to control the pandemic resulted in a 25% reduction in the nitrogen oxides emissions, which, systems scientists estimated, may have saved at least 77,000 lives over two months.

Before the pandemic, if we look behind a few months at our daily livelihood, we see our whole environment was littered with human activities and harmful substances that get released in the environment. These gases are toxic and we release them in the environment while driving, working in industries and burning fossils. This in turn causes depletion or degradation of a healthy environment.

Due to this, many infectious diseases have taken birth in our society. Diseases that have been examined earlier due to these causes include asthma, eye redness, eye irritation, throat infection. This means that those people were unable to swallow food with ease. One of the main dreadful impacts of these gases or activities has been on our ozone layer. These gases contain toxic materials that cause holes in the ozone layer. As it causes holes, harmful sun rays hit the ground directly, which can lead to skin burning due to cancer.

lockdown

Above all, it causes global warming.

As Covid-19 hit our world and lives, the world froze without all the buzzing and running, and no single mourn protest was held by birds and animals on it. This is because the pandemic has helped nature to reappear, for human activities were stopped to some extent or minimised.

In the past, there used to be many species of trees, birds and animals on the Earth. However, if we put an eye on our present scenario of the birds, animals now, we realise that we’re trying to dominate the planet again. We managed to inflate our environment and atmosphere with fresh air due to the lockdown. This added more colours to our living. And the reason behind the killing, disappearing and chopping down of birds, animals and trees is human activity. So at this point, we can conclude that human is an enemy of nature.

Before this, humans considered themselves utmost species in this world. But Covid-19 knelt them down as they were living like newly living born babies. As they threatened other livings, the same fear was being felt by them during the spreading of Covid-19.

People used to throw out waste and garbage of their homes in landfills or into water bodies. This, in turn, resulted in water and soil pollution. Due to water pollution, water-dwelling species died or eloped from their natural habitat. As I mentioned earlier, human being’s movement in nature was followed, with not many restrictions to adhere to. They used to go to visit forests and cut down giant trees. So, the side effects of it were less annual rainfall and soil erosion. Over the years, we have been observing drastic climatic and season change.

Over the past few months, everything has changed. Pollution level and global warming level have been considerably decreasing. Nature has started to reappear in its purest form, making it the most significant change on our environment and lives fur to the pandemic.

Now, people are taking full caution at homes, society and industries in order to not spread pollution. The pandemic has played an important role in healing the wounds of nature and our environment. Above all, Covid-19 showed us and made us realise our main purpose of living life.

More from Wani Bilal

By Sarika Verma

By Jagisha Arora

By Ajeet MalHoTRa