This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ecochirp Foundation. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Ambitious Climate Action Of Denmark Is Setting An Example For The World!

More from Ecochirp Foundation

Moving forward with the motto of ‘green and sustainable world’, the nation of Denmark is quick and high performing when it comes to fighting climate change. The action plan of the national government has guaranteed that the climate policy would never get overtaken by economic priorities and ensured an actual impact on the environment rather than just remaining as dubious paperwork.

What are the real reasons behind the improper practice of climate policies? When answering this question the first thing that comes to mind is the inactive nature of governments. The transition of government at the end of their terms leave the climate action strategies adopted by the previous parliament unchecked and not further followed up by the succedents.

New Climate Plan

The new legislation in the Danish Parliament makes it mandatory for the ruling governments to submit an annual account or report of climate actions and targets achieved. The law truly grasped the urgency of climate change and tackled the fundamental issue in the way of proper action by enforceability. Therefore, political constraints in climate action have moved to a large extent and the environmental strategies are now way easier to achieve.

Together For The Environment

The actual force behind the legally binding and time effective new legislation is the people of Denmark. Massive protests and agitations took place in the country led by school students and activists for a sustainable planet had left the government with no option other than to ensure climate actions.

People hold placards during the Global Climate Strike at Raadhuspladsen in Copenhagen, Denmark, 2019. People around the world are taking part in protests demanding action on climate issues. Photo: Nils Meilvang/Ritzau Scanpix

People from all around the world can follow Danish footprints by protesting and constantly demanding their respective governments fight climate change more responsibly with a clear understanding of democratic and social authority vested with them. Now, the Danish climate law makes sure to implement the schemes even if the government’s change and failure to do so would lead to forfeit of power, thus, a more transparent and accountable environmental action is possible.

Advanced Climate Action

Starting from the 1980s, remarkable efforts were adopted by Denmark to cut short emissions making the country’s progress way better than the international actions. Initiating the Kyoto Protocol, the Denmark Parliament has set up provisions to reduce emissions by 21%. The Climate Strategy of the year 2003 opened a new phase of cost-effective development and made substantial advancement by lifting itself 24 positions in Climate Policy Category and ranked among the top ten countries.

In addition to this, the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) classified Denmark at the fifth rank for its impeccable actions for the environment. Denmark has other major plans for the future, for instance, to develop the renewable energy sector, to curb 70% of the emissions by 2030, and to become a carbon-neutral nation by 2050, also they are attempting to reduce the temperature to 1.5°Celsius.

Year after year, there is a considerable reduction in CO2 emissions within the Danish territory when compared with other developed nations. There was a 12% reduction in Green-House Gas emissions between the years 1990 and 2003, meaning the country has started showing better results from a long time ago.

Denmark has observed a transition in energy consumption to renewable resources and still managed to maintain a 2% growth in GDP per year. Establishing itself economically well ahead, the country aims to improvise action plans by long-term schemes, implementation of green technologies, biofuel usage, scientific research, and technological innovations to combat climate change.

About the Author: Nivya Jain is a passionate writer and a graduate in Economics. A reader for life, interested in politics and diplomacy.

More from Ecochirp Foundation

By Utkarsh Mishra

By Purnima Khandelwal

By Ecochirp Foundation