This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shreya Biswas. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why These Lyricists Of Your Favourite Bollywood Songs Remain Hidden

More from Shreya Biswas

What hits us the most when we listen to a song? Indeed, it’s the tune. People barely notice the lyrics when they listen to a song for the first time. But if we listen to a song to not just avoid the chaos when we are in public transport or make our morning walks less tiresome and instead to listen to it, we realise how soulful the lyrics are (obviously, not the modern disco and rap).

The lyrics of a song possess the ability to soothe the emotions of a listener. When we emotionally connect to a song, it becomes close to our heart. But do we bother to know the lyricists behind these incredible creations? Hardly. It is not impossible to know the names of the lyricists of your favourite songs, but it is not entirely our fault.

Since the beginning, rarely have names of lyricists been mentioned along with other artists associated with a song. However, this should not be encouraged anymore. We should ask music companies for a mention of lyricists too. Otherwise, some admirable names will fade away without getting the recognition that they deserve. Here are a few names of some great lyricists and their great works.

Sameer Anjaan

sameer anjaan

Ironically, he has literally been Anjaan (unknown) to many of us. He has given his words to at least 500 Bollywood films, including Dil, Aashiqui, Fiza, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Saawariya, Dhoom 2 and many more. His body of work consists of almost 4,000 songs. It is heart-wrenching when people like him, who have given so many years of their life to us, remain unrecognised.

Swanand Kirkire

If you listen to the song ‘Bawra Mann Dekhne Chala Ek Sapna’ from the movie Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi, you will think about the beauty of the lyrics that have been penned and sung by Swanand Kirkire himself. He has also given songs to the cinemas such as Parineeta (‘Piyu Bole’), Lage Raho Munna Bhai, 3 Idiots, Barfi and many more. He is an actor, screenwriter and author too. And his rustic voice will make you fall in love with him.

Manoj Muntashir

‘Teri Mitti’ from the film Kesari will give you goosebumps if you are a music lover. The song was written by Manoj Muntashir, who has also written the songs ‘Galliyan’ from Ek Villian, ‘Kaun Tujhe’ from MS Dhoni: The Untold Story and many more soulful songs. He is a praiseworthy person indeed.

Priya Saraiya

‘Chadariya Jhini’ from the movie Badlapur is such an emotional song that if you are sad, you are bound to cry listening to it. But the singers took all the credit whereas it would have been impossible to create such magic without its beautiful lyrics by Priya Saraiya. ‘Sun Sathiya’ from ABCD 2 and ‘Gulabi’ from Shudhh Desi Romance are two other glowing feathers in her cap amongst many others.

Amitabh Bhattacharya

Amitabh Bhattacharya

If you are a person who likes slow and soothing songs, then ‘Iktara’, penned by Amitabh Bhattacharya, should be a must in your playlist. Bhattacharya has also written the songs of Lootera, Aye Dil Hai Mushkil and many more Bollywood films.

Prasoon Joshi

The list of beautiful shooting songs is incomplete without Rang De Basanti‘sTu Bin Bataye’, written by Prasoon Joshi. The iconic songs of Taare Zameen Par and the album of Fanaa are also his creative contributions.

Varun Grover

‘Tu Kisi Rail Si Guzarti Hai’ is a masterpiece by Varun Grover from the incredible movie Masaan written by Grover himself. He has also added his bests to the movies Sonchiriya, Sui Dhaga and many more.

The list doesn’t end here. Many other names do not get the credit they deserve. It should be our duty to atleast search for the lyricists’ names. We should know from whom the essence of a song comes from.

1. Amit Biswas

I totally agreed.
    Lyricist should also get appreciation or credits at each and every particular song.

More from Shreya Biswas

By shweta srivastava

By Zemima Khan

By Akanksha kapil