This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Captain Black. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Covid-19: We Are Moving Towards A “VUCA” World

More from Captain Black

We are living in a world that is readily growing, expanding and changing. And while there are many advantages of development and growth, there are severe consequences of it too. We are moving into uncertain times. And VUCA World is an acronym that tells us about the challenges that we might face in the upcoming future. The term “VUCA” stands for Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous.

Volatile: The world is changing, changing too fast for its good. And as it is changing it is becoming more unbalanced, unreliable, unsafe and predominantly unstable.

Uncertain: We all know that history repeats itself no matter what happens, but what if we get into a world where we might not be able to predict things. Scared? Petrified? Yes, this can be our future, where past experiences might lose their place. We might not be able to tell how pages in the upcoming future will unfold themselves. For example, no one would have ever predicted that we will be stuck at homes for months, i.e. lockdown.

Complex: From a small relationship to an inter-country relationship, everything is getting more complicated by each passing day. While we are on the threshold of the fourth industrial revolution, based on Artificial Intelligence, we are also on the verge of war, Tsunamis (arctic ice melting) and on top of all that we need to face and fight Covid-19. Look and analyse how complicated things are getting.

Ambiguous: If I conclude it all, we are moving on a foggy road. None of us has a clear picture; nothing can be predicted, nor do we have any prophecies to prepare ourselves for what’s to come.

From a small farmer in a remote village to CEO of MNCs, no one is spared from today’s VUCA world. The next question that arises is: What’s the solution? Is there any solution? Well, you will be astounded to know that the answer lies within the question. Confused? Allow me to make it easy for you to understand. Let’s turn VUCA to our well-being and profit; let’s find out the answer to the question.

• Counter Volatility with “Vision”

As said by Hellen Keller: “The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight but no vision.” Let’s plan for things. Allow room for negotiations, set a vision, plan the things, work hard for it, achieve it. Give value to your people, to their voices.

• Meet uncertainty with “Understanding”

As said by Leonardo da Vinci: “The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.” Why not understand the thing, why only whine and complain about things. Think about why you are failing, how your competitors are winning, how you can change, evolve. Think about all these questions because when you get the answer, you will able to take benefit of new opportunities, you will be able to look after your fears.

• React to complexity with “Clarity”

Be Crystal clear about how you are going to achieve your goal; talk with absolute clarity with your clients and teammates.

• Fight ambiguities with “Agility”

Stay motivated, stay adaptive. We are moving towards uncertain times and we need to adapt to a new atmosphere. And it’s completely natural.

More from Captain Black

By Abhishek Chaudhary