This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manish Agarwal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Opinion: “What Is Wrong With Indians And India?”

More from Manish Agarwal

Greed, Nepotism, Corruption, VIP Culture, Lawmakers, etc. are above the law and enjoy the privileges of breaking the law and are the hallmarks of India’s Politicians, Politics and Polity. Politicians and Political Parties in India are above the law and don’t need to follow the Constitution of India though they take oath on it.

Political parties who are always fighting with each other against the country’s interests collaborate and connive when it comes to their vested interests, be it hiking their MPs/MLAs salaries, opposing the ADR, civil society campaign, movement to bring political parties under the ambit of the RTI Act or agreeing to long-pending electoral reforms, women’s reservation bill; et al., etcetera.

Many of our MPs/MLAs are proud criminals, rapists, murderers, financial/business fraudsters, scamsters, bungling, etc. Politicians and political parties are fooling people of states and the country every 5 years. Because of illiteracy, people of India happily get fooled because, during election time, politicians and political parties make false claims, promises, throw money around, giving freebies, viz. free booze in TN; etc.

While voting, public/citizens have a herd mentality and vote on considerations of caste, religion and not development. For all these reasons, India is a sham democracy and a banana republic because the rule of law doesn’t prevail in India. For this pitiable situation, all of us (public, citizens, civil society) including me, are at fault because nobody knows, respects and follows the laws in India.

It is a big joke as people instead of following the law, feel happy and great about breaking the law. Indians, in general, have a “Chalta hai” (anything goes) attitude and don’t bother about quality, efficiency, productivity, punctuality, etc.

On the other hand, look at countries like China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Thailand, etc. who were also developing countries like India after WWII (1945) but are now all as good as a developed country and at the same time. Their citizens are very patriotic and nationalistic as well.

population india
India will soon overtake China as the World’s most populous country.

China has successfully controlled its population and now is almost stabilised, i.e. no longer increasing, unlike India. India is (in another 5–10 years) going to overtake China as the World’s most populous country. China is four times as big as India area wise and is five times more economically strong (GDP and per capita income are more than five times that of India).

The reality is that facts are bitter and we can improve only if we accept the bitter truth. But we have to be goody good and say “Mera Bharat Mahaan” (India is great) to keep our spirits high. Though it is a fact that India was indeed a great country, most developed civilisation (Indus Valley Civilization) and a world leader in education, economy, human development, in all the sectors in the BC (Before Christ) timeline.

India was ruined, looted, marauded, plundered by all the foreign invaders be it the Alexander the Great, Muslim dynasties from the Middle East (including the Mughals) and finally the Great East India Company, British, French, Portuguese Imperialism and Foreign rule. And even the Independence of India in 1947 was not blemish-free as the country got partitioned because of a conspiracy by both the internal as well as external forces.

Today the sad reality is that Pakistan in the West and China in East are both enemy countries who have both illegally occupied India’s land and territory and they continue to bleed India. It is a herculean task for India to overcome the challenges posed by China and Pakistan by way of encouraging cross border terrorism, strategically, militarily and sovereignty wise.

More from Manish Agarwal