This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Akshay Sonawane. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Is It Shocking That India Ranks Below Iran And Palestine In 2020 Happiness Index?

More from Akshay Sonawane

5 Indices That Show How Far India Has Progressed In Various Fields

Global Hunger Index 2020 (GHI)

This year’s GHI was published with the theme ‘One Decade To Zero Hunger’ ‘ Linking Health And Sustainable Food Systems ‘.
In the last 2 decades, (2000-2020) India hasn’t fared well and fallen in the “alarming” or “serious” category while scoring 27.2 points out of 100. Representational Image.
India ranks 94th out of 107 countries. India has been placed in the ‘serious ‘ hunger situation category by the ‘Welt Hunger Hilfe’ who publishes this report. In the last 2 decades, (2000-2020) India hasn’t fared well and fallen in the “alarming” or “serious” category while scoring 27.2 points out of 100.
In 2000, we got 38.9 points. More points indicate more seriousness of the hunger issue.  The report mentioned “‘South Asia’s child stunting rate as of 2019 was 33.2 percent, down from 51.3 percent in 2000. India—the region’s most populous country, experienced a decline in under-five mortality in this period, driven largely by decreases in deaths from birth asphyxia or trauma, neonatal infections, pneumonia, and diarrhoea.

Climate Change Performance Index released by German Watch

Published annually since 2005, the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) tracks countries’ efforts to combat climate change. As an independent monitoring tool, it aims to enhance transparency in international climate politics and enables comparison of climate protection efforts and progress made by individual countries.
Although India has one of the largest growth trends, per capita emissions stay at a comparatively low level, rated very high for their well-below 2°C compatibilities. India ranked 10th  while scoring 63.98 points out of 100.  Various parameters, including Greenhouse Gas ( GHG ) Emissions, renewable energy use, etc., are taken into consideration in this index.
India has significantly reduced its GHG emissions while increasing its reliance on renewable energy. India has taken a great initiative by hosting the International Solar Alliance. and it is way ahead of China(48th), USA (55th) and Canada (56th) in practising the Paris Climate agreement.

World Happiness Report by the United Nations

The rankings of country happiness are based this year on the pooled results from Gallup World Poll surveys from 2017-2019 and continue to show both change and stability.

The top countries tend to have high values for most of the key variables that have been found to support well-being, including income, healthy life expectancy, social support, freedom, trust, and generosity, to such a degree that year to year changes in the top rankings are to be expected.

India is a new entrant to the bottom-ten group with 144th rank out of 153 countries. Its large and steady decline in life evaluation scores since 2015 means that its annual score in 2019 is now 1.2 points lower than in 2015.

The ten countries with the largest declines in average life evaluations typically suffered some combination of economic, political, and social stresses. The five largest drops since 2008-2012 were in Venezuela, Afghanistan, Lesotho, Zambia, and India, with drops over one point in each case.

The biggest life evaluation drops were in Venezuela and Afghanistan, down by about 1.8 and 1.5 points respectively. India, with close to a fifth of the global population, saw a 1.2-point decline. New Delhi, where the  CM, Arvind Kejriwal, has started Happiness Curriculum in schools is in the bottom ten cities of the world in the happiness index. Our neighbours Pakistan, Bangladesh and Srilanka stood at 66th, 107th 130th rank respectively. The most shocking thing is that Iran, Iraq and Palestinian territories which are generally war-torn have ranked better than India.

Corruption Perception Index (CPI)  by Transparency International

Corruption is a pan India oil which you need to move the machinations fast. People are forced to give bribes in some or other form to get their work done. On 28th May 2014, Narendra Modi on his first day in PMO, set up an SIT committee under a retired SC judge to deal with corruption.

In his various election rallies, he promised people that he would bring back the black money to India. The rest is ‘sarcasm’. Now in 2020, no one speaks of black money as if all the big bulls in our country have come clean on the transactions. But Transparency International burst this perception of Indians by releasing the Corruption ‘perception ‘ Index in which our ” VISHWAGURU” and ”MOTHER OF DEMOCRACY’  India has ranked  80th out of 180 countries.

World Press Freedom Index (WPFI) by Reporters Without Borders

According to the last 10 reports (2010-2020) of WPFI,  649 journalists were killed all over the world in this decade. Representational Image.

Every year since 2002, Reporters Without Borders releases an index which ranks countries based on the freedom of expression of journalism. India has ranked 142nd out of 180 countries. But remember, our PM and HM are completely in support of freedom of the press, to such an extent, that they didn’t utter a single word when renowned senior journalists Gauri Lankesh and Shujaat Bukhari were shot down.

According to the last 10 reports (2010-2020) of WPFI,  649 journalists were killed all over the world in this decade. Close to 6% (38) of the total journalists killed were from India. Indian journalists critical of the government continue to face trolls and death threats on various social media platforms.

While writing this, a journalist has been shot dead as he exposed the scholarship scam, another journalist has been burnt down in India.

Note: This article is data-driven as its sources are various reports published in the year 2020.

This article was previously published here

More from Akshay Sonawane

By Prerana

By Prerana

By Charkha features