This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Yuvraj Singh Mann. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Are ‘Debate, Discussion And Dissent’ Not Needed In The World’s Largest Democracy?

More from Yuvraj Singh Mann

The title itself creates too many confusions in the mind. What are 3 ‘Ds’? Well, not everyone is aware of this. Everyone does perform this in their daily routine life but when asked to say something about this, they often stand against it. Curiosity is good. I am going to break this curiosity now. Dissent, Discussion and Debate- are the 3 ‘Ds’. Let me tell you that these 3 ‘Ds’ are not safe anymore. As a citizen of India, I can say this without faking it.

India has been considered as the ‘World’s Largest Democracy’. But there are lots of evil practices taking place currently in India.

I do not feel safe when I am dissenting. I can not write my opinion or objection or question any policy formed by Government of India.

Somehow, I gather my courage and do write my views in a very decent manner. There are a lot of cases I have heard from different parts of this country. People filing FIRs, mob lynching, doing every possible atrocity to slow down or suppress the voice of people.

Who is provoking? There are some so-called representatives chosen by us who are provoking in every rally or speech. You see there is a personal vendetta in every situation. The government of India is not doing its job of protecting and providing a safe environment. But this is kind of lost. There is fog everywhere. People have been forming their ideas without even thinking about the repercussions of their ideas. Dissent in simple words means “To disagree with any act”. But, people nowadays dissent in the smallest possible thing. But when it comes to dissent in public, they often ignore it. Why is this happening? Is dissenting a crime today?

Debate and discussion are also attached with dissent. Just because of 3 ‘Ds’, democracy can be safe for every single individual. We are somehow becoming extremists. We are raging against any point made by the one who we think is our enemy. This is a false perception. This perception of understanding any individual as an enemy is nothing but a wrong way to prove your ideology.

The rise in extremism was seen since 2014 when Modi came to the power. Well, one should not forget the history of any individual who was famous for his cruel works. There is nothing against any particular party or a person. But this is a fact. We all are familiar with terms like Anti-national, Love Jihad, Tukde Tukde Gang, Pakistani, Lutyens and what not. Now there is another term in fashion called ‘Khalistani’. We are just doing the falsework of naming every individual and community when they protest against any act of government.

A protest is also a form of dissent. No one unnecessarily protests unless their rights are being threatened by a particular organisation or institution. Nowadays, we have a name for peaceful protest too. Which is called Riot. People do not understand the meaning of riot. There is a difference. Laws like NSA, UAPA, and sedition are charged against those who are the faces of change in today’s India. What is the solution?

You see, these days, people do not put up their political opinions on Instagram stories. They choose to present their views on the ‘closed friends’ section of Instagram stories instead. I asked my friend recently when she presented her views against the current government in closed friends (stories). She told me that instead of understanding the problem, people are becoming more vicious in ‘Direct Messages.’

They are also using abusive language just to prove that their ideology is not wrong. Well, this is sickening. Who really wishes to get up in the morning and see this type of response? This is just a small example with a deep fear of destructive criticism. We need to change this thinking of pressurizing your ideas on a person. Start respecting the opinions and do research about what you are saying. Be aware that you should form your own statements instead of blindly copying them from someone else. Democracy will be safe again one day. Just a little of understanding and patience is what we need to get through.

Created by Yuvraj Singh Mann

Are you being a vicitm of extremism?
Featured image is for representational purposes only.

More from Yuvraj Singh Mann

By Uday Che

By Aditya Sharma

By Prof D D Misra