This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manisha Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Not All Manic Conditions Are The Same: Discovering Various Kinds Of Mania

More from Manisha Singh

Mania can be described as an unusual state of mind or altered senses towards a certain stimuli that may cause an altered sense of euphoria or excessive pleasures or dysphoria, and can be called a mirror image of depression. This is accompanied with abnormal elevated arousal and mental activity with high energy level. Mania can be related to family history, but not necessarily. It may also be caused due to lifestyle factors, external environmental stimuli, stress or even thought patterns.

Extreme form of altered mood, emotions, senses along with euphoria towards fulfilling action towards a stimuli may give a sense of relief, dopamine or adrenaline rush to the person, which psychologically makes the person wanting to do it more, and over and over again. Meaningless or self-harming obsessions are related to mania and repeating certain tasks that maybe usually wasteful or considered extreme for most people in society.

Some forms of mania are mild, short lived and less obsessive, while some other may be more serious than the others. There are medications and therapies available to cure the extreme and rare cases of mania, which may also be related to other mental conditions such as bipolar syndrome, delusions, schizophrenia, etc. when they take serious form and require medical attention.

Manic behaviour seems odd because of societal or cultural norms and ethics, yet, it might be possible that many of us must have faced one or the other form of similar obsession somewhere during our lifetime, even though it would have been short lived.

Many manias and obsessions are even named, here is a list of some of them:

Arithmomania Obsession with numbers
Aphrodisiomania A mania of having abnormal sexual interest
Bruxomania Compulsion for grinding teeth which may be self-harming
Catapedamania Urge and obsession of jumping from high places
Dacnomania Obsession with killing living beings
Drapetomania Intense desire to run away from one’s home
Dromomania A maniac compulsive desire for travel
Egomania Strange and irrational self-centred personality or self-worship
Empleomania Obsessive mania for holding public office
Entheomania An abnormal belief that one is divinely inspire
Epomania Obsession for writing epics
Ergasiomania An abnormal excessive desire to work; Workaholism; Ergomania
Erotomania An abnormally powerful sex drive
Etheromania Craving and obsession for ether
Florimania Obsessiveness for flowers
Graphomania Maniac obsession with writing
Gynaecomania An abnormal sexual obsession with women
Habromania Insanity featuring cheerful delusions in a person
Hippomania Crazy obsession with horses
Hydromania Irrational craving for drinking water
Hylomania Excessive obsessive tendency towards materialism
Iconomania Excessive obsession with icons or portraits
Idolomania Obsession to devotion to idols
Infomania Excessive mania to accumulating facts
Islomania Crazy obsession for islands
Kleptomania

Ludomania

Irrational irresistible urge for stealing

An irrational desire towards gambling

Macromania Having delusion that objects are larger than natural size
Megalomania Abnormal obsessive tendency towards grand or grandiose behaviour
Melomania Obsessive craze for music
Methomania Having morbid craving for alcohol
Metromania An insatiable desire for writing verses
Micromania Pathological self-belief that one is very small
Monomania Abnormal obsession with a single idea, thought or belief
Morphinomania Maniac craving or desire for morphine
Mythomania Lying or exaggerating irresistibly to an abnormally maniac extent
Narcomania Uncontrollable maniac craving for narcotics
Necromania Sexual obsession and attraction with dead bodies; Necrophilia
Nosomania Self-delusion of suffering from a disease
Nostomania Abnormal desire to visit familiar places repeatedly
Nymphomania Excessive abnormal or crazed sexual desire
Oenomania Maniac obsession or craze for wine
Oligomania Obsession with a certain few thoughts or ideas
Oniomania Mania for making purchases or spree spending
Onomatomania Irresistible desire and action of repeating certain words
Onychotillomania Compulsive biting and picking fingernails
Opiomania Maniac craving for opium
Opsomania Abnormal and obsessive love for one kind of food
Orchidomania Abnormal obsession for orchids
Phagomania Excessive desire for eating
Phaneromania Compulsive habit of biting one’s nails
Pharmacomania Abnormal obsession with desire to try drugs
Phonomania Pathological tendency to murder
Photomania Pathological desire for being in  light
Phytomania Crazy obsession with collecting plants
Planomania Abnormal desire to disobey social norms and wander
Plutomania Mania for money
Polemomania Mania for war
Politicomania Mania for politics
Pornomania Obsession with pornography
Pseudomania Irrational desire for lying
Pteridomania Passion for ferns
Pyromania Mania for starting fires
Rhinotillexomania Compulsive nose picking
Satyromania Abnormally great male sexual desire or Satyriasis
Scribbleomania Craze with scribbling
Sitiomania Morbid aversion to food
Sophomania Self-delusion that one is incredibly intelligent
Squandermania Irrational compulsion for spending money wastefully
Stampomania Obsession with stamp-collecting
Technomania Obsessive craze for technology
Thanatomania Belief of victimized by death magic and resulting illness
Theomania Belief that one is a god
Tomomania Irrational craze for performing surgery
Toxicomania Morbid craving for poisons
Trichotillomania Neurosis maniac disorder where one likes to pulls out own hair
Typomania Craze for printing one’s writing or creation
Uranomania Obsession with the idea of divinity
Verbomania Craze for words
Xenomania Attachment to foreign things
Zoomania Insane fondness for animals

More from Manisha Singh

By Pallerla Srikanth

By Sudhamshu Mitra

By sanah