This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sayam Pradhan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why I Think 2020 Wasn’t “The Worst Year Ever”

There are a lot of bad things happened in 2020. Many believe that the year was the worst for human civilization. It was a tough time, but is it tougher than the history of human civilization? This is an in-depth analysis of the year.

The year began with a scary fire in the jungle of Africa. It continued for 79 days and the wildfire collapsed more than 4,70,000 acres of land. After that, the year gradually turned into hell for some. It got worse than before after the outbreak of Covid-19. It created a sense of anxiety in people over the world. The disease has taken almost 2 million lives worldwide and more than 80 million cases of Covid-19 have been recorded.

The other events that happened in 2020 were the Australian bushfire, the stock market crashed, the impeachment of Donald Trump, Black Lives Matter protest, Kim Jong Un’s death rumour, Sushant Singh Rajput’s death, Twitter hack, Youtube channel hack, Youtube vs Tiktok and the death of Chadwick Boseman.

The TIME Magazine also declared 2020 as “The Worst Year Ever”. But, the overall analysis of the year says something different.

The year was undoubtedly bad but not the worst. There have been worse years in the past than 2020. It has become worse in the view of the people because of the spread of biased memes.

himalayas visible from punjab after lockdown
Pathankot, Punjab. The lockdown led to pollution levels dropping. The Himalayas that were once shrouded are now clearly visible. Credit: @parasrishi/Twitter

The good things about 2020 was the steps taken by the government during an urgent Covid-19 outbreak. Respect for the doctors, nurses, shopkeepers, and other corona fights increased, extinct animals were spotted, the environment and atmosphere became clean due to the lack of usage of industrial machinery and vehicular resources.

Creativities came up on social media. People donated crores for the needy. Activists helped the poor in terms of food and hospitality. Most things began going online. 

If we go back 65 million years, there was a huge explosion because of the collision of asteroids with the earth. Countless species went extinct and dinosaurs were one of those. In fact, 75% of life was wiped away. Wasn’t that a bad year? We are lucky that 2020 brought a virus rather than an asteroid.

In 3067 BCE, a war took place in India, known as the Mahabharata. It is also known as the epic war and the greatest war in the history of human civilization. Around 1.66 Billion warriors are reported to have died at the end of the war. It was tougher than the World Wars.

World War I took place from July 1914 to November 1918. About 40 million warriors participated in it. The war wiped away about 15 to 20 million lives and 23 million military personnel were reported to be injured. When World War I was coming to an end, a novel virus took birth and killed at least 50 million people — 2,50,000 only in the United States.

World War II was fought between 1939–45 and took 20 million military lives. The war took more native lives than that of the military. In August 1945, Hiroshima was bombed. At that point of time, it roughly took 80,000 to 1,35,000 lives. Another bomb explosion also took 60,000 to 80,000 lives in Nagasaki.

Moreover, the impact of the explosion is still there. The births in Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still impacted even after 100 years of the explosion. Today also, physically and mentally challenged offspring are born in these two places due to the radiation.

I can say that we are fortunate since we didn’t face these problems in 2020. I also think that 2020 shouldn’t be declared as the worst year ever.

More from Sayam Pradhan

By puja pal

By Criti Mahajan

By Ananya Bhuyan