This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ajay Amitabh Suman. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Is Indian Politics Scarred By Fake Election Promises?

More from Ajay Amitabh Suman

Nowadays, in India, during elections, leaders make any kind of promise. These things are not part of just one political party. This applies to almost all the political parties in India.

Farmers Bill Was Amended To Protect The Interests Of Big Corporate Houses”

For example, before the election, the Hon’ble  Prime Minister of India,  Shri Narendra Modi, had promised that all the black money lying abroad would be brought to India and Rupees 15 lakhs would be transferred to the bank account of every Indian citizen.

The reality is seen as something else. Rupees 15 lakhs did not come into the account. However, the Farmers Bill was amended to protect the interests of big corporate houses. Now big business houses will be able to store the crop without stopping.

According to this amendment, if someone has any kind of objection, then they cannot directly go to court. First, they will have to go to S.D.M. It is obvious that the rights of farmers have been interfered with. The promise was made for the betterment of the general public, but it is happening just to the contrary.

Although the Hon’ble Prime Minister is talking about the minimum support price, who knows, it may prove to be another “Chunavi Jumla” (false election promise).
Similar is the situation of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who promised free Wi-Fi to the people of Delhi. To date, that promise has remained a “Chunavi Jumla ” (false election promise).
Talking against religion and caste-based politics, he came to power. Still, when the election comes, he starts wearing a turban at the Gurudwara, sometimes going to Varanasi and taking a bath in Ganga River, sometimes going to the Mosque and starts offering namaz. The promises made against their caste and religious politics proved to be false.
Representational Image. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal promised free Wi-Fi to the people of Delhi. To date, that promise has remained a “Chunavi Jumla ” (false election promise).
Here, Lalu Prasad Yadav’s son Shri Tejashwi Yadav is also no less. In the Bihar elections, Mr. Tejashwi revived his political life by promising 10 lakh jobs. However, to date, no road map has been given by him.

Politicians Have Time And Again Issued Unscientific Statement Against The Corona Vaccination

Similarly, Mr Akhilesh Yadav is issuing unscientific statements against the Corona vaccination. He has issued such a statement that he will not get himself vaccinated from Corona Vaccine. Overall, he has only one concern. The benefit of this vaccination should go to  B.J.P. It is a matter of surprise that his supporters get carried away by this.
It is immaterial for political parties, whether work is being done or not. The prime importance of political parties is whether the work is being properly promoted or not.

Nowadays, leaders are also sending pre-recorded robotic messages to mobiles. It seems as if some company is promoting its product. All the leaders want themselves to keep alive in the news. Overall, the reality is that the one who does this ensures his publicity gets a better opportunity to grow.
The leaders are making such statements only for their political benefit. It is immaterial for them, whether it does any good for the country.
The biggest problem is that there is no law to crack down on such false claims and promises. Any leader can do any kind of misleading propaganda, make false promises. There is no provision of penalty. This is a big flaw in our system.
Now, if a company makes false propaganda about its product, then a person can go to the consumer court. But what about Netaji’s “Chunavi Jumla ” (false election promise). A false promise made by any political leader (Netaji) creates an atmosphere of distrust in Society.

Leaders make their politics shine by making false and misleading things. Cheated people have no other option but to exclude them from the government at the time of elections. Some accountability must be attached to the election promises made by a leader. These remedial measures are required to be discussed.

We Could Implement These Suggestions To Improve Our Governance Infrastructure

Now the time had come to adopt the “right to recall” as suggested by Lok Nayak Shri Jayaprakash Narayan, so that if a leader proves to be incapable of fulfilling the promises made during his political campaign,  then the public gets the right to elect Before he was able to remove that leader.
Though this is one of the remedial measures that has popped up in my mind, there may also be many other ways to get rid of this problem.
Like the political debates, we witness during the presidential campaign and long political debates in the American Presidential election, even in the USA, during the election, the presidential candidate has to disclose his road map to fulfil his political promises made to society.
Another suggestion may be that it should be made obligatory for every political party to make public the list of every political promise (fulfilled and unfulfilled) before any political campaign. It should also be made mandatory for every leader to give reasons for not fulfilling his promises.
A nationwide data has to be prepared for all the M.P.s and M.L.As in India, as per their performance in their past tenure. For a new one, his background and integrity have to be considered. There may also be many other ways, which should be debated and brought to notice so that a healthy democracy can be ensured in India.
Featured Image Source: Wikimedia
Image is for representation purposes only.

More from Ajay Amitabh Suman

By Shareerspeak