This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Khaksar Adnan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Ammaji, My Grandmother, Was A Revolutionary Woman

More from Khaksar Adnan

I miss those cold winds. You were feeding me with your own hands in the harsh winter with a smiling face.

Every smile of yours is like a shadow inside my eyes. Every single memory of yours refreshes my body! On this day back in 2011, we lost a great soul and caring member of our dynasty. We used to call her Amma Ji.

My Grandmother Was My First Mentor

She was a pious lady, a Mujahida. She was the wife and mother of two great men who made their imprints on the people. I spent almost my entire childhood in grandma’s home, where she used to narrate stories of great revolutionaries like Salahudin Ayubii. It is because of her help and expert guidance that I came close to my religion.
Home is the first school for everyone, and for me, it was my grandmother, whom I consider my first teacher and mentor. Despite being a teacher, she remained my guide and mentor. She always guided me to live a disciplined life.
My grandmother used to tell me, “Adnan, always fulfill your duties towards society and nation(Kashmir).” She was the mother of a noted revolutionary, Bilal Sidiqi.
I can’t not mention Bilal Sidiqi, who was among the few men who crossed LOC during the initial stages of the resistance movement. Bilal Sidiqi played a crucial role in the resistance movement. When Bilal Sidiqi was locked up in Tihar jail from 1995 to 2002, grandmother and Bilal Sidiqi used to communicate through letters only, thus making it more difficult for both of them. Separation is always a painful thing.
Representation Image. My grandmother was qualified and had a great sense of happenings in Kashmir and outside the Muslim world.
Bilal Sidiqi later spent 18 years in different jails of India. Bilal Sidiqi is a man of wisdom and principles. The reason that prompted Bilal Sidiqi to cross LOC was the teachings of my grandmother.

15 Years Ago My Phone Rang And I Was Informed That Bilal Sidiqi Had Been Released From Jail

My grandmother was not an ordinary woman. She was qualified and had a great sense of happenings in Kashmir and outside the Muslim world. When her son was brought back into Srinagar jail, she used to cook delicious food for Bilal Sidiqi, keeping in mind he had suffered a lot. Whenever I looked into the eyes of my grandmother, her eyes presented a sad scene. I still remember 15 years ago, when we were preparing for Iftar during Ramadan, my phone rang, informing me that Bilal Sidiqi had been released. It was for the first time I saw my Nani so happy.Nani’s struggle in life was not only due to his son.  Nani was married to Khaksar Ghulam Ahmed Sidiqi, who too was a well known revolutionary. He was head of khaksar movement in Jammu & Kashmir. Khaksar Ghulam Ahmed  Sidiqi was a freedom fighter and his burden eventually too fell on my grandmother.
Via her steadfast approach and firm character, she faced every challenge of life with an iron will and taught us the lessons of morality and truthfulness. The struggle was so hard that when Bilal was again detained by police, it impacted Nani’s mental health. Nani didn’t know about his son.

She didn’t know where his son was because of mental illness. Although Bilal Sidiqi was released in 2011 after a gap of two years, Nani didn’t know about his presence in the house. The mental health problems of Nani were worsening with every passing day.

I still remember how during the first week of December in 2011, Nani’s health further deteriorated. Nani finally left this world on 25 December 2011. Before the sad demise, Nani was in a coma for 15 days.

I bid you farewell with tears of the eyes.

I bid you farewell while you are for me, my eyes.

I bid farewell to you while a flame is in my heart.

My sorrow increases due to the longing

I see you departing and not returning.

Featured Image Source: Alsaffar Studios
Image is for representation purposes only.

More from Khaksar Adnan

By Aheed

By Education Updates

By Bhavesh Trivedi