This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Diya Sharan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

There’s More To 2020 Than Shock And Despair: Recognising The Perks Of 2020

More from Diya Sharan

“It’s been such a horrible year“, “a wasteful year, so tough and traumatic” So many of us have this feedback about 2020, but none of us said, “wow, I learnt so much from this year!”

2020 must-have started as a good year for many as maybe you were still in your 1st-year college enjoying the fests or maybe just as pleasant with good grades or a topper at school or college, but as soon as we reached the month of March, inevitably everyone’s faces were struck with dismay, shock or despair.

I’ve thought that the same house which we used to look forward to coming back to after a long, hectic day and would say ‘home sweet home’ has now changed to ‘ oh God, no home.’ In fact, some people are even saying now that they won’t return home and will stay for 3 years in a hotel.

Representation Image. I’ve thought that the same house which we used to look forward to coming back to after a long, hectic day and would say ‘home sweet home’ has now changed to ‘ oh God, no home.’

Of course, we were flabbergasted by this extreme, unexpected, and sudden change, but gradually we learnt to be home peacefully, learning the ways of adapting. We learnt so many things like living for months without friends, extended family meetups, or going to theatres at any point in time, and yes, our freedom also was taken away for many.

It abruptly stopped but did we miss out? Really? No, I don’t think we did! We learnt how to live and be happy on our own and with family.

Many who lived far away from home got to go back, at least they reunited with their family! That was the good part. It was hard for those who have a bad relationship with their parents or even facing domestic violence or child abuse. It was absolutely a hard year for those who lost their loved ones or even suffered from the virus.

However, it taught us all how to be mentally and emotionally stronger and more independent. Think about it! Had we not gone through this, would we have got any mental rest? At least we got a break, in fact, a very long break from the chaotic world.

Everything turned to online mode, whether it be office (for some), college, or even school. We gradually learnt new ways of adapting. Many were happy that they would not have to interact with others face to face and socialize, but many who were extroverts on the flip side found it challenging or even those suffering from mental disorders.

Look at how this new challenge changed you after 9 months of physical distancing and quarantining. It definitely felt horrible watching people look like ‘thieves’ (if you get the reference).

Many of us got to reconnect with dance, music, art, etc., including me. I love art but never got time to draw or paint that one masterpiece. I never got time to blog due to college work, but here’s where I can continue my blogging. Even you must have reconnected with some activity you love? Did you?

To conclude, we can not deny, had Covid not taken place, would we have ever realized all those things that we took for granted? We have so many things to be grateful for. Would we have become environment-conscious or learnt how to maintain hygiene? We also learnt how to love ourselves again!

Maybe, it was His way of telling us to stop and think of the injustices we did to the environment? We learnt to support one another and to care a little more. Lastly, I want to inform you all readers that you should be proud of yourselves and must pat yourself on your back, hug yourself and scream ‘I love me’, It’s never too late to love yourself again! Sending you all lots of strength and love for a better new year!

Featured Image Source:
Image is for representation purposes only.

More from Diya Sharan

By Arpit Sachan

By Aheed

By Manvi Singh