This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Bleed Eco. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Lack Of Proper Access And Education Around Menstruation In India Is A Huge Crisis

More from Bleed Eco

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

Written by Joyoti Chowdhury

Across the world, 1.8 billion girls, women, trans men and non-binary persons of reproductive age experience menstruation. The lack of proper access and education around MHM (Menstrual Health Management) in India is a huge crisis. The existing stigma and taboo around menstruation have led to the silencing of various issues pertaining to it.

A survey conducted under ICDS (Integrated Child Development Scheme) reflected that in 2018-19, 5.12 lakh adolescent girls dropped out of school in the age group 11-14 years. As a result of the deficiency of affordable, safe and sustainable menstrual care products along with improper WASH facilities and barely functional toilets has worsened the crisis.

Representational image

According to the National Family Health Survey (2015-16), only 57.6% of menstruating women use sanitary napkins while others are exposed to using unsafe materials. This has resulted in absenteeism and lower the overall participation of menstruators in school. In India, due to uncomfortable silencing of the conversation around periods, 71% of adolescent girls remain unaware of menstruation till the menarche. The unscientific attitudes and misconceptions have often led to social isolation and ostracisation of the menstruators. The deficiency of formal education in school around the sustainable practice of MHM puts them at a major health risk from a very tender age.

It is also important to raise the conversation around intersectional menstruation. It is essential to remember that, “not all menstruators are women and nor all women menstruate“. The essentialist attitude towards the experience of menstruation is not inclusive and hence problematic in its approach. There also exists minimal conversation around various health-related issues (PCOS, PCOD, amenorrhea, PMS, dysmenorrhea and others) concerning menstruation.

The introduction of a holistic perspective in curriculum around menstruation amongst the school-goers will help dismantle cultural pressures and existing disgrace and shame. The period positivity framework also must not overlook the deep classicist and casteist undertones of menstruation experience.

Along with these, the waste generated from disposable sanitary napkins has a huge environmental impact. According to the Menstrual Health Alliance India report, it can take 500-800 years for sanitary napkins to decompose as the plastic used in those are non-biodegradable. According to the 2011 census in India, 336 million girls and women experience menstruation. Among them, approximately 121 million use disposable sanitary napkins, which means about 12.3 billion disposable sanitary pads are generated every year.

This is a huge concern for the country’s waste management crisis. The act of creating awareness trials of eco-friendly menstrual care products such as menstrual cups, period panties or reusable cloth pads amongst the school goers can save a huge amount of cost and is a long term investment. This shall also be a significant step towards addressing the issue of ‘period poverty‘ in India.

It is important to look for strategic solutions for the issue as this has severe repercussions on the menstruators’ sexual, physical and mental well being. The restricted mobility also limits choice and agency which troubles their self-confidence and impacts overall participation. In India, most girls are unlikely to return to school once they drop out as a result of patriarchal roots. MHM, and MHH programmes in school can help adolescent menstruators address their health issues and question the existing social norms and cultural taboos.

Thus it requires our immediate attention. These programs must take a holistic approach to be all-inclusive and engage men and boys in the learning process. Menstruation is nothing to be ashamed about and thus needs to be discussed privately and publicly and politically, and it is from the school where we should start it.

More from Bleed Eco

By KSHITIJ MISHRA

By Bleed Eco

By Charkha features