This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Karun Lama. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

‘We Aren’t The Only Ones Who Own The Planet,’ So Can We Stop Acting Like It?

More from Karun Lama

All of us were so eagerly waiting to welcome the new year after almost a year of desperation. This, however, is a moment of celebration in some way or the other for humans so was in welcoming the new year as it symbolically appears as bringing new hopes to humanity and nearly a victory against the lethal virus as the vaccines are out.

We Aren’t The Only Ones Who Own The Planet

However, it deeply saddens to recall that a small microscopic creature has so far taken millions of human lives, snatched away the dear ones from many who never returned from the hospital. In return, this tiny creature gave us a lesson that humans are not that superior the way we boast of ourselves.

We aren’t the only ones who own the planet. Humans are just a part of the ecosystem. It, in a way, reminded us to be kind enough to nature since we all belong to it. The interactions or engagements between humans and non-humans/nature should be maintained or let to remain the way nature accepts.

Representation Image. It is pathetic that some of the fellow humans can never live/enjoy/celebrate the beauty of nature without keeping it unpolluted or unharmed.

Since we are heading towards normalcy as the COVID-19 scenario improves throughout the country, many of us tend not to take those lessons seriously. The very instance, where human’s unchanged habits and nature-unfriendly behaviour were witnessed again, is the way most of the people celebrated the new year.

Following the relaxations in movement, people in no time rushed to travel to various places of their choice, seeking some open spaces for refreshment which indeed was direly necessary.

We Need To Learn To Celebrate Without Creating Any Form Of Pollution

Most of us enjoyed the arrival of the new year by picnicking and spending moments with family and friends at various destinations such as popular riversides, tourist spots, etc.

But, sadly, amidst these celebrations, many failed to realize the very lesson (which I assumed humans learned from this global health crisis!). It is pathetic that some of the fellow humans can never live/enjoy/celebrate the beauty of nature without keeping it unpolluted or unharmed.

It is distressing to see the picnic spots are left littered with plastics and non-biodegradable wastes all over. They have yet again failed to realize that these leftovers in the riversides would harm the water ecosystem along with polluting the pristine environment. Not only in picnic spots, but such scenes can also be witnessed in other public places as well.

That apart, the inborn habit in most of us, Indians, to play music in loudspeakers during any celebration is like a ritual of the modern Indian culture.

No doubt, celebrations without music don’t feel like celebrations at all. However, celebrators at the same time also need to think if their actions are causing noise pollution or disturbing others in any way. As observed, while picnicking, some picnic groups don’t even bother to keep the scenic environment noise-free.

Well, it is a harsh truth that human behaviour doesn’t change so easily. I feel even the 2020 pandemic failed to teach many of us how to live without harming or polluting the environment, which is an inseparable part of nature.

Featured Image Source: Canva
Image is for representation purposes only.

More from Karun Lama

By Meghali Saikia

By Charkha features