This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by malvika. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“I’ve Been Apolitical Till I Could Afford, But How Do You Expect Silence Anymore?”

More from malvika

As India reaches its 72nd Republic Day, let’s take a look at where our democracy stands through the lens of its press freedom. A democracy is only as free as its press. Kashmir has been at the forefront of Indian politics and the suppression of its press freedom comes as another blow to the ideas of democracy, freedom, and free speech.

Can India truly be called a democracy 71 years after Baba Saheb’s constitution came to life? Are we truly the land of freedom that Gandhi and Sardar Patel envisioned and fought for?

Representation Image. My nation is alive;  It’s young and wise.

A while back they read to us

The censorship of Press Act, 1799

In our Journalism class

A move that gave the government complete authority

To censor any and every news before publishing

And I breathed – Thank God democracy

And now Kashmir has been put under another lock

I’ve been apolitical for as long as I could afford

But how do you expect silence anymore

The freedom of speech and expression that I made my gospel

You snatch it from my countrymen

To “prevent any threat to the integrity of Indian democracy”

You don’t secure that by striking at its fourth pillar

The Indian Constitution – the longest and best ever written

Oh, how you’ve mocked it

Found the loopholes that didn’t exist

And twisted them

Is reporting a protest an act of sedition?

Calling out the void in bill treason?

How do you make policies for the press?

Without its consideration

Our press freedom ranks 140th out of 180

Heck, non-democratic nations have it better than us

Our democratic index has been the lowest ever

And no leaving this country if I don’t like it is not the way out

It is because I love it more than myself

That I choose to speak up

I see my democracy being torn away pillar by pillar

And I remember Martin Luthor King Junior –

“If you never take a stand, you might live longer

But you’ll be dead a long while back”

But no my nation is alive

It’s young and wise

Suppressed for centuries by foreign rule

But also bred stronger

To throw out its own oppressors

Kashmir, we see you

We hear you

Now more than ever

We’re in this together

A threat to democracy anywhere

Is a threat to democracy everywhere

And this isn’t about which side you’re on

This is about what you believe in

Respect and adore the journalist 

Who’ll risk his everything and more

For the truth

Because he believes in something

Greater than himself

He loves his nation more

Than you could understand

We’re with you

Each one of you

We see your efforts

And we respect you for it

Kashmir, it’s not your fight alone

We’re in this together

Let the rest of us also be the India

You’ve been hoping for.

Featured image is for representation purposes only.

More from malvika