This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Bleed Eco. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A Day In The Life Of A College Going Menstruator

More from Bleed Eco

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

Written by Ananya Ray

According to the nation’s constitution, education is a fundamental right for people, irrespective of their caste, social class or gender identity. But more often than not, menstruating people are deprived of this basic human right, what with the obstacles and discrimination they face in educational institutions during their monthly cycles.

Girl looking angry at different words for periods

According to a survey, poor menstrual hygiene led to 5.12 lakh adolescent girls dropping out of school in 2018-19. Menstruating individuals are highly disadvantaged in school and university spaces where the poor infrastructure, unsanitary environment and an overall unsympathetic surrounding discourage them from attending classes.

For one, I typically try to avoid going to University on the second day of my period, due to the unbearable cramps and heavy flow. For hours on end, sitting in class can be tiresome and incredibly difficult for someone like me, who suffers from dysmenorrhea. Often, I have to excuse myself from lectures and rest for a while in an unoccupied classroom. During this time of the month, I carry my Meftal Spas tablets with me to alleviate the extreme pain.

To add to that, the washrooms in my University are quite dirty, unsanitary and unsafe for disabled and menstruating people. Many of my menstruating classmates, including me, avoid using them, especially on the days we are menstruating.

While I am on my period, a typical college day is incomplete without the feeling of utter nausea that I experience when exposed to the strong smell of food in the canteen. The apathy towards eating solid food is not new for me, especially when I am menstruating. While I would be more than willing to chomp on fries and unhealthy snacks from the canteen on regular days, I feel extremely queasy near food and skip meals during this time of the month.

A day like this would usually end with me yearning to go home and lie down with a hot water bag, in my bed. The stress from the day usually increases tenfold while I am menstruating, and at the end, I often feel tired and frustrated.

But as I talk to more of my menstruating classmates, I realize that it is not just me who is facing such issues while pursuing my education. Many educational spaces lack the adequate infrastructure, amenities and empathy to make life easier for menstruating people. The conversations around menstruation are rarely initiated in the official meetings of the University administrative board. The general lack of awareness and sensitization among the college staff is quite appalling.

A day in the life of a college-going menstruator can become so much smoother and nondescript, just like any other day, if the educational space actively attempts to listen to menstruating students’ qualms. The college campus should be a safe space for menstruators and not a place where they dread going on the days they menstruate.

More from Bleed Eco

By KSHITIJ MISHRA

By Bleed Eco

By Charkha features