This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Robina Chetri. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Political Promises Are Like Balloons: Big And Colourful, But Hollow And Out Of Reach

More from Robina Chetri

Before writing anything, I’m making it completely clear that I’m not in support or against any party. I’m confused with the entire concept of election and its tactics. India has free elections, but I’m not sure they can be called fair anymore; rather, flawed democracy would be the right word.

BJP Demonstrate In Kolkata
Do we even know what an election is? (Photo by Debajyoti Chakraborty/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

As of today, there is election fever everywhere. Politicians are at it again, announcing mega schemes in order to widen their vote bank. Each one of them has targeted some of the major issues as a medium to gain votes. Isn’t it? Unemployment, inflation and poverty are the weakest points to be targeted in India and these cunning politicians are making fruitful use of it.

Job opportunities, increase in farmer’s income, providing subsidy, coming up with various new startups, special cover for PSUs, improvement in education and health facilities, channelising private investments, various schemes both at state and national level, reducing poverty, etc. are only used for making headlines.

The most interesting one I came across a few days back was that there was a wind going on to register names to get a job if in case a said party (let’s not mention the name) wins the election. Seriously? Are we so dumb sitting here preparing day and night for various competitive exams? Quite a funny one. Really in the case of an election, promises are meant to be broken.

There is nothing new here; many such disappointing promises have been made in the last several elections. They seem like balloons — big, colourful and floating around, but hollow and slightly out of reach. They don’t stop here; every party is ready to humiliate and downgrade their opposition party as part of their uplifting tactics.

Repeating the same promises during every election campaign is somehow highlighting them as a failure. This is why it’s high time we should stop taking Indian elections seriously. They’re now as meaningless as the Indian government’s data, always fudged to make a bad situation look good.

BSP Chief Mayawati Address Election Campaign Rally In Greater Noida
Supporters of BSP during the election rally on April 8, 2019 in Greater Noida, India. (Photo by Virendra Singh Gosain/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

We should stop falling for these psychological games of words played by different political leaders during their respective election campaigns. We trust them blindly with their policies, and when not fulfilled, all we can do is protest, issue bandh orders, vandalise public property, etc. But is that the solution?

Do we even know what an election is? It is actually a process of electing our representative who will responsibly work for the people and their development. The public opting to handover their future in the hand of their representative is a serious matter. Unfortunately, we see political parties only dancing and clapping everywhere during their campaigns rather than stressing realistic agendas that can work.

Flashy numbers make for great headlines but hold little truth. As citizens, we must understand the subtext of all political commitments, and provided that we genuinely care for a cause, we must go after it on our own without waiting for the government to catch up.

They say, “vote for us and we will work”, but why don’t we flip the coin today and make it “do your work and get the vote”.

More from Robina Chetri

By Emtiaz anwar

By Saumya Jyotsna

By BRAJ RAJ