This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Umesh Sharma. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How Can We Guide Young Journalists Towards Better, More Ethical Journalism?

More from Umesh Sharma

Journalism, a question mark that’s getting bigger with every passing day. It’s the need of the hour when we all are supposed to ask ourselves where our next generation is heading, what is wrong with the current generation and who is making its way to practice journalism. A few seniors or media veterans should address their successors to let them know that journalism is not restricted or limited to a salary slip, mic, press card or a banner of a media house.

The Real Concerns Of Today’s Generation

Let us first understand the concern that needs to be addressed. As we can see, there are many new students taking admission in colleges and universities to study journalism and making ornate profiles as journalists. But there is a humongous lack of patience in them. They are showing less interest in exploring broader aspects of journalism’s practical literature. What they are actually doing is making the roots of their conservative work approach strong. They are not ready to break the scope of their money-centric mindset of small YouTube channels and online portals that are only focused on the quantity apart from quality.

Students of journalism, in their very beginning, are getting distracted by the lavish and glamorous look of studios of news channels that somewhere have nothing to do with the root cause or value of journalism. They are getting derailed from the very basics of journalism in the blinking light of just a few bucks. In that same context, after some time, they find themselves miles away from the structural concept of journalism: which is R3W (Report, Research, Read and Write).

How Can The R3W Principle Be Applied To The New Nursery Of Journalism?

Once the nucleus of the concern has been introduced to the centre of discussion, what we are supposed to look at is the solution to this rising crisis of gradual contraction of the mindset of a generation of budding journalists as a whole. What is the solution here? Aren’t we competent enough to teach our next generation that reporting, doing research, reading and then writing is something that is termed as the only conceptual or structural cycle of the working module in journalism?

The solution to these questions relies upon the willpower of the current established or veteran journalists that how much improvement they want to see in the future of journalism. Senior journalists, thinkers and writers as a team should have a look at the new growing nursery of journalism. A major part of this new nursery of journalism is getting affected by the poison of ideological battles and conflicts of religious beliefs, and the counting is on.

Science Of Journalism’s Practical Literature And The Solution To Let This Conundrum End

The above-discussed points can be considered negative charges at the orbit of journalism’s practical literature and its rational aspects. Those negatives cannot be considered anything near the nucleus point of rational and ideal thought process if there were any Bohr’s atomic model in the context of journalism.

Senior ones have to guide the distracting youth towards the right and accurate path if they are really concerned with the future of the survival of the basic structure of this one of the oldest dignified practices. They should tell, teach and educate the young blood to think before getting distracted by the irrelevant, the unrealistic or someone’s divisible character. The practiced ones have to tell the young practitioners that while studying journalism, learning is a must before taking any step on the way to practicing it.

We have to tell our generation that money and fame have never been the sole motto of journalism. All these are just a small part of this big picture who target is to solve the concerns, evils and marginalised issues of people and various sections of society.

More from Umesh Sharma

By Nishtha Kawrani

By Mohan Singh

By Sohel Ahmed Khan