(A brief on the new corona symptoms, a realistic view of the healthcare scenario, and some resources to help you with the fight against this deadly pandemic)
Hi everyone, I’m writing this post as I recover from the second wave of Covid-19. Though I recovered, in another house in my family, I lost a family member, my nanu (maternal grandfather), to Covid-19. First of all, I will write about my encounter with Covid, in brief, so that you know the symptoms, realistically.
Point Zero is that if you travel, you will get infected. Gone are the days when corona was merely numbers; now it is names — it’s me, you, your family member. So please, stay shut, stay safe — do not travel unless necessary.
Following were the symptoms:
- An uneasy, itchy feeling in my throat.
- Feeling cold; shivering; cold-sweats; followed by fever.
- Feeling extreme exhaustion. Like my body is giving up already. Crazy spasmodic and painful muscles; be it my torso or my calves, I felt the pain everywhere.
- Weird confusing feeling, like feeling hazy. It’s called ‘brain-fog’.
This was all on the very first day.
I could manage only one meal for the following days. Since I was so exhausted, I couldn’t stay awake for more than 2–3 hours. I kept monitoring my O2 levels. Thankfully, my O2 remained above 95 throughout.
Just to tell you all not to only rely on ‘smell-taste test’, I had my smell & taste intact. Understand the different symptoms of the new strain. My fever went away after I took paracetamol on the first day. But I had a sore throat for a good 12 days. And the exhaustion remains till today (it’s the 14th day since I felt my symptoms). I fall asleep anytime because I’m just tired of sitting up straight.
Now the unfortunate news of my nanu passing away and how it went:
Tuesday Morning: Covid report said he was positive. I looked for hospital beds near his area in Delhi, couldn’t find any in private hospitals in the vicinity. Someone called someone, who called someone important, so he was able to get a bed in a government hospital.
Tuesday Evening: Got admit to the hospital.
Wednesday: No news.
Thursday Afternoon: Pronounced dead.
My nanu was 78 years old, he was weak since he used to get his dialysis done every now and then, but he had never been ill of anything before. He got Covid-19, and within three days from the report, he was no more.
- Beds are not available unless you know someone important.
- If you are 60+, the hospital staff won’t really be able to divert their resources (O2 and doctors) toward you.
- If you’re 55+ with co-morbidities, your body will not be able to take the harsh symptoms of the second wave of corona without help — and help is something that’ll come to you a little late.
- Avoid going to the hospital and occupying a bed if you feel you will be able to recover through home quarantine. Let someone else who really, really needs it find it.
- Don’t panic, please. Panic creates fear, and fear creates helplessness. Keep trying. Again, try to stay home or consult your family doctor nearby if you feel you have symptoms; because rushing outside can mean that you bring back symptoms home.
- Most importantly, the youth must stay home as they may be carriers. Even though they make it through asymptomatic, they might just be aiding in the spread.
Please stay home, stay safe!
Now for some verified health resources to aid against covid-19: all were verified on 16th April 2021:
- COVID-19 Plasma Donor-Recipient: COVID-19 PLASMA DONOR — RECIPIENT HELP GROUP; INDIA
- KAB Welfare Foundation: 9810063261 https://www.facebook.com/kamlaarorablessings/
- NDTV plasma donation initiative
WhatsApp : 9910668811
Reach out to NDTV with plasma requirement and prescription
- Panthak Saanjh Initiative: Arranging donors for the patients at the time of emergency
Sunny Khera: +91–9999992492
Gurbrinder Singh: +91–9958525752
Gurjot Singh: +91–9953019389
- Cipla customer care: 8657311088; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hetero Helpline: 18001034696; whatsapp : 9320985814; email@example.com
- Hetero Healthcare (Mumbai) Priorities
Mr Yogesh Patil: 9322067716 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Pathik Shah: 9769727771
Mr Vaibhav Khairnar: 9272372811
Mr Bose: 9347341757 email@example.com
Mr Vijay Thorat: 9820748050
Mr Shastri: 9820528432
Mr Shenoy : 93231 43036
- Hetero International & Cipla
Mr Pankaj Thakur: +91 8433946055
Mr Bhavesh Shah: +91 9821044912
Mr Rudra: +91 9833809177
Mr Subhadeep Sinha: +91 9393922434
- Distributors for Remdesivir
Nexus: +91 9664400575
Royal: +91 9820344456
For Actemra (tocilizumab) :
- S.K. Distributors
Mr Dhaval: +919619861781, +919930220993, +918879142101
- Byculla Pharmacy & Stores
Mr Altaf : 09870008051
Mr Arun 02261313000/61313001
- Cipla Ltd
Customer care : 8657311088
Mr Vinayagam : 99943 99990
Mr Dipendra: 75079 46363
Mr Apoorv : 96626 12576
Compiled Document of COVID Resources: Here
If you feel any of the above are misleading, please comment/reach out to me and let me know.
Lastly, a list of Mental-Health Practitioners to support you through this tough time.
- LGBTQ+ Friendly Therapists: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_kQ4Icp_Lc/?igshid=1qpgq27f6emz5
In case anyone needs any further help finding Mental Health Practitioners/Therapists, please comment and I will help you find one.