This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Fahad Haider. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Is The Second COVID Wave So Deadly In India?

More from Fahad Haider

According to experts, the second wave of COVID-19 is spreading at a faster rate. Although the number of active cases of the coronavirus in India was reducing after September 2020.

Banquet Halls Converted Into Covid Care Centre In Delhi
NEW DELHI, INDIA APRIL 13: Health workers take care of Covid-19 patients at Shehnai Banquet converted as Covid Care Center in front of LNJP Hospital, on April 13, 2021, in New Delhi, India. (Photo by Mohd Zakir/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

In between the period of September 2020 to February 2021 most of the schools, colleges, and offices were opened along with all the precautionary COVID protocols. Due to lack of public awareness, the spread has now reached its peak level and the new active cases per day in India are increasing exponentially.

Until February 2021 many of the states in India had announced zero deaths, but the present data of some states shows that the cases are at their peak in April 2021 and comparatively deadlier.

Reasons Behind The Second COVID Wave To Be More Dreadful

• The rate of spread is faster: the cases are rising sharply at an exponential rate. The peak of daily cases in September 2020 was 90,000 but it has increased to around 3.5 lacs in April 2021.
  • Shortage of beds: many cities of India are facing the problem of shortage of beds. The number of new cases per day is much higher than the recovering patients. As per the severity of the condition, the patients are recommended for home quarantine and treatment under the proper team guidance of doctors and nurses.
  • A new strain of the virus: according to experts the new mutant form of the virus is more dangerous because it can escape from the body’s immune system and is more infectious. The new virus is not only affecting older persons but it is affecting all age groups too.

Preventive Measures For Public Welfare

Breaking the chain of the COVID-19 spread is all we can do as the citizens of the country. We can prevent ourselves from getting infected. The following are the ways:

• Stay home and don’t go outside until it is urgently required.
  • Put on a mask while you go outside.
  • Don’t touch your nose, eyes, mouth, and ears unnecessarily, the virus can enter through these routes into your body.
  • Keep the six-foot social distancing from another person while you go to any grocery shop, medical, or hospital.
  • Sanitize your hands, clothes, mask, and all the other items which you are bringing into your home from outside.
  • Follow all the COVID guidelines given by the local police and health workers of your area.
  • Take a bath with lukewarm water at least once or twice a day.

If you are taking care of a COVID patient then you need to wear a two-layered mask, stay positive mentally, and don’t let the patient stay alone in their room, talk to them often on phone calls. Give them plain and light food. Don’t let them lie on their back, suggest they sleep on their stomach or the side of the stomach, it will help the patient with oxygen availability.

Overview

At this crucial time, we need to follow all the COVID protocols, should stay at home. Take care of yourself and your family members, stay positive and happy, we will overcome this time and will win the battle.

Created by Fahad Haider

Lockdown—the only solution to defeat COVID-19

More from Fahad Haider

By puja pal

By VISHAL JHA

By Nishtha Kawrani