This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by aman pradhan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Is Behind The Chaos in Israel?

More from aman pradhan

Historical Perspective

The ongoing conflict between the Jewish people and the Palestinians dates back to the mid of 20th century. Besides the broader issue of a dispute of territorial dominance, the other areas of the dispute have been mutual recognition as entities, border delineation, safety and security of people, water rights, control of Jerusalem, Israeli settlements in occupied territories, Palestinians freedom of movement and human rights issues.

Current Scenario

House destroyed by rocket in Israel
Representative Image.

Hamas (Islamic militant group of Palestine) and other militant Palestinian groups fired rockets at Tel Aviv and Beersheba to which Israel replied with numerous airstrikes at Gaza. All this happened after increased tensions between Palestinians and Israeli police near and around the areas of the Al Aqsa mosque in the Old City of Jerusalem.

Backdrop

The recent nightly clashes began at the beginning of Ramadan in mid-April, when Israeli police placed barriers outside the Old City’s Damascus Gate, a popular gathering place for the evening prayers. Though the barriers were later removed, Palestinians were of the opinion that Israeli police deliberately wanted to create hindrance during their prayer time. The protests, however, escalated over the threatened eviction of dozens of Palestinian families from East Jerusalem.

Conclusion

Israel is the only Jewish country in the world because of large Jewish migration from Europe around the holocaust of Jewish people by Hitler. Since then Jewish population has risen and now have well overtaken the Palestinians who think that their history and heritage is linked with the country, and hence, demand a separate country.

Furthermore, a majority of Jewish people see the Palestinians’ demand for an independent state as just and feel that Israel can agree to the establishment of such a state. Therefore, creating a suitable environment to strike a peace deal at this juncture may well serve as a turning point in the history of the region.

The Viral ‘Iron Dome’

Israel air defence system
The Iron Dome.

The world witnessed the finesse of the Israeli air defence system after what seemed to be a night show in the skies was actually the retaliatory fire by the Israeli air defence system to the rockets fired by Hamas and other militant groups. The ground to air defence system has intercepted and destroyed 90% of the rockets fired by the militants.

The Iron-Dome is a short-range ground-to-air defence system that comprises a Tamir interceptor and a radar that tracks and destroys any missile or airborne system that enters Israeli airspace. The system is used by Tel-Aviv in countering, rockets, missile launchers, artillery and mortars from enemy targets.

The system can equally intercept unwanted helicopters, aircraft or UAVs that enter the airspace without permission. The Iron Dome was deployed in 2011 nearly 6 years after it was first announced by the Israeli government following the 2006 Israeli-Lebanon war during which Hezbollah had fired thousands of rockets into Israel.

1. Harkiran Singh

Thank you so such an insightful and enlightening article.

More from aman pradhan

By Md mohsin Alam

By Vaseem Chaudhary