This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Wasam Ramiz. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

You Might Be Experiencing Cognitive Dissonance. Do You Know What It Is?

More from Wasam Ramiz

It is the state of mind when someone is unable to decide between different thoughts. It can also be defined as the conflict between different thoughts. It involves contemplation, self-reflection, rumination upon any topic, etc. which lead to self-realization, change of beliefs, etc. It generally happens when you start observing the world on your own. It is the time you start introspecting your own thoughts, through the act of questioning your beliefs.

Why are Indian students at this Canadian college stressed? - Study International
Representative image only.

Reasons For Cognitive Dissonance:

1. RESISTANCE TO CHANGE

Those peoples who are susceptible to change generally doesn’t get involved in the process of cognitive dissonance. On the contrary, those who consider their thoughts supreme due to diverse reasons (it can be cultural understandings, upbringing, knowledge), and generally don’t accept others thoughts. They just don’t want to give up their thoughts because they think giving up will somehow degrade their respect. They start to create a net of thoughts and eventually becomes the reason for complete mental unrest.

1. DECISION MAKING

Sometimes it is really hard to choose between two choices because both are equally appealing to you. But you need to make an urgent decision whether to go for this or that because these are limited for a certain period of time. Most often people take decision hastily, which in future becomes one of the greatest mistakes of their life.

1. GUILT

It is the situation when one is guilty of something wrong done by him. And he feels ashamed of sharing it with others. It creates never-ending thoughts which degrade self-esteem which result in loss of confidence.

1. UNCOMFORTABLE ENVIRONMENT

When anyone is thrown into a new social environment, he needs to cope up with the existing thoughts between the majorities to create a safe zone for himself/herself. Not abiding by your own rule depreciates your value. It could also lead to self-esteem degradation.

1. FOMO ( FEAR OF MISSING OUT)

We humans always wanted to live in a socialised environment and we need to gather some respect to be its part, so we decide to act with the flow of the world. We try to change ourselves, but change needs time and within this period we try to install new beliefs which create discomfort (dissonance) within ourselves. Offices and schools seem to be the place where FOMO is most likely to be present. These are the places which demand your participation in turn, if you need to excel in your respective field.

Why We Experience Fear of Missing Out
Representative image only.

HOW TO GET RID OF IT?

Cognitive dissonance arises when you come across inconsistent beliefs and information. It can only be cured through the process of realization, justification, acceptance and change. Sometimes we just need to realize that our existing belief is wrong and we need to change it. Like we know that smoking is injurious to health but some don’t quit it just to get temporary relief, which in turn is preparing an empire of health hazards in the coming future. Our best weapon to tackle cognitive dissonance is to justify our stand. Justification has a wide range of meaning, which comes involuntarily, depending upon your environment in which you were brought up.

It seems effortless, to make up your own sense out of certain activity, need not change your thoughts and beliefs, only need to frame a way to justify your deeds, that’s all. Accepting something which goes against your belief process, is termed bravest. It depends upon the topic whether you should accept the thoughts or not, but accepting other’s viewpoint paves the way to brotherhood. If you don’t have any authentic justification to prove yourself right, then you should change your behaviour and accept legitimate thoughts and beliefs.

Cognitive dissonance should never be viewed with pessimism. It is the way through which we humans accept evolutionary viewpoints. It widens our situation analyzing behaviour. No humans could have achieved becoming a Doctor, Engineer, Journalists etc. without this necessary evil cognitive dissonance process. But again excess of anything becomes hazardous.

More from Wasam Ramiz

By rampraba

By Shraddha Iyer

By Tanisha Gulati