This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ishita Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This Is How I Have Been Dealing With Uncertainties During The Pandemic

Along with a global health crisis, the pandemic also brought with it a mental health crisis, especially for the youth. There is this constant feeling of hopelessness, frustration, and lack of interest, while also being worried about the future and having this constant gut-wrenching feeling of not doing enough.

I am a 17-year-old, going through exactly the same thing. With the board exams being postponed, the pressure of applying for colleges and writing entrance exams have been taking a toll on my mental health.

I recently got rejected from my dream university. I spent days doing nothing, feeling insignificant, questioning my self worth, and feeling as if I wasn’t good enough. Looking at all my friends getting selected in their desired institutes certainly did not help. I am happy for them, do not get me wrong, but I also wanted to be happy with them.

Looking at the internet for distractions did not help either. Meanwhile, questions flooded my mind, “Am I even good enough?”, “Was it foolish of me to think I could get into a university as prestigious as this?”, “Are my dreams too unachievable for me?”, “Would I ever have the life I’ve always dreamt about?” I have another entrance test in a few days and I only feel unmotivated. I am probably so scared to fail again that I have not even started trying.

Mental health and COVID-19 in developing countries | Development Matters
Representational Image.

Here is how I’ve planned on dealing with these uncertainties, getting my motivation back and staying sane:

1. Talking to a friend

Humans are social animals. All of us want somebody to talk to. Social distancing has already taken my social life away from me, and being at home has made me distance myself from most of my friends. I do not even feel motivated to socialize anymore. However, talking to my friends does make me feel happier, and I plan on doing that more often.

2.  Taking a shower everyday

Yes, I have lost all hope in life at this point, and I have stopped showering regularly. Showering can magically affect your mood. Something as simple as showering can help you feel much better. Although I already know all of this, I have still been feeling unmotivated to just get up and take a shower. Hopefully, this is going to change.

3. Fixing my sleep schedule

Sleep could have a huge effect on a person’s mental wellbeing. Having a proper sleep schedule is also important, especially during this time when we are all stuck at home and have lost all motivation. Recently, I have been having trouble with my sleep schedule. By the time I wake up it is already almost noon, but I have been taking steps to change that and have a healthier sleep schedule.

4. Giving time to my hobbies

I really love dancing and reading, but I have not really been giving much time to it. Dancing makes me feel happier and reading makes me calm. It is time that I start paying attention to the things I love doing. It is what could help me stay calm amidst all of these uncertainties that do not seem to leave me at peace.

These things might seem very common, something we all know, something we have all been hearing or reading about, but to actually put them into practice could be a challenge. We have all been facing difficult situations, and staying motivated through all of that could be difficult. However, it is as they say, “this too shall pass”, and I hope it does soon.

Featured image is for representational purposes only.
  1. Dev N Dolia

Well said, reading this gave me a strong feeling which made me visualise you standing Infront of a huge crowd and addressing them on this topic and sharing your own life experiences. Heart touching and really should be helpful to motivate each and everyone who is going to read this or is reading this article.

In today’s world there are a lot of people facing such problem but there are very few who want to speak on this and help others, I have crossed this stage and still I am able to connect with your struggle and I strongly believe that anyone who’s facing the same situation will surely connect with you and if they follow the tips mentioned above then they will surely be thankful to you for writing this article and motivating them.

Proud of you Ishita and yep all the best for you entrance exam.

2. Swetha Gopalakrishnan

Great job Ishita.. True words!!! Long way to go girl. Keep writing.

3. Shweta Jain

I know this pandemic has been hard, but where there is hope, there is a way ..so great jod ishita ..keep it up..good luck ….raise like a sun in this world … The world is awaiting you

4. Sweta Roy

very nicely written…keep it up.

More from Ishita Jain

By Charkha Features

By Siddharth Mohan Roy

By Mariam