This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Deepshikha Pandey. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Your Best Friend Is Not A Counsellor. Say Yes To Counselling Than A Friendly Advice!

More from Deepshikha Pandey

Whenever it gets to counselling, society might assume it slightly significant or barely a dialogue bout unusually people believe that putting up with a general suggestion or craving emotional support from friends or family can assist you out with your pain. But counselling is distinct from general guidance.

For example, if you need to take legal advice on any legal subject, you would consider practising professionals; the same goes with mental health. Not everybody can offer you accurate advice and understand the intensity of your trauma/pain. As people typically tend to receive explanations from their friends or family, they get several answers. Many will suggest a plan of action for numerous solutions intended to give more clarity in thoughts. Still, it only confuses you at the end.

Regardless, counsellors never instruct you what to do; they lead you and continuously encourage you to work out the problem that annoys you with its logical finding. Now let’s understand counselling competently. Adequately counselling is training in which counsellors and subjects work together to understand the individual. Dilemmas and complications and come up with a plan of action to fix, nevertheless taking somebody’s viewpoint or advice it is usually based on their life experience, personal beliefs and shared knowledge, which won’t be very valid in everybody’s case as every individual has different drawbacks, challenges, upbringing, setup, notions, experiences, tough times, and personality.

PRAM LIBRARY: Counselling Session for Surbhi & Adya
Representative image only.

Counsellors don’t advise you but keep a check on you throughout the process. Many people believe that counsellors intend to give you suggestions or recommendations, but the counsellor wants to help you answer your questions. The goal of most advisors was to deliver you with a definite clue to your problem sometimes without even identifying what the problem is. Hence, the counsellor not just assists you in discovering your solutions yourself but also stimulates you to learn the origin of the problem.

An advisor would presumably eavesdrop on your dilemma and instantly come up with an explanation for it. Still, this technique goes wrong because they never enable you to think and introspect about yourself, so the next moment you face a crisis, you won’t be prepared to deal with it on your own you will depend on others to support you. Whereas counsellors empower you to evaluate your conclusions, they provide thoughtful feedback, conformational conversation, and generous inquiry to clarify this issue.

How helpful are Kolkata's college counselling cells? - Times of India
Representative image only.

They open up your outlooks observing the course and allow you to introspect on it. They equip you to acquaint you with the consequences of the finding that you formulate. Any advice is usually based on shared knowledge, experience, and particular beliefs; following someone’s advice is always risky to anticipate as it may or may not solve your problem.

Contrariwise, counsellors utilize strategies, modalities, and hypotheses that have been precisely researched and experimented with—counselling emphasis only on you and what you comprehend and counsel you to accomplish your goals. Counselling helps you analyze your emotions and realize yourself, and it allows you to find out yourself.

It conveys a concussion on how you get tangled up and how to untangle yourself. This procedure is what people get to learn from counselling. So, in a nutshell, advice is like giving you an instant solution, and counselling is like teaching you how to build, analyze and comprehend your conclusions.

More from Deepshikha Pandey

By Ali Qalandar

By Jigyasa's Guide to Befriending Life

By Anusha S