This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Kashish Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Opinion: “The Modi Government Is More Debilitating Than The Coronavirus In India”

More from Kashish Singh

The Modi government seems callous in these unprecedented times of the crisis which has shaken the world. Instead of acting meticulous, our Prime Minister Narendra Modi seems to be more into histrionics. The recent instance to quote is the one from 21st of May where PM Modi got emotional while paying condolences to those who lost their lives during the novel Coronavirus pandemic. People noticed the PM’s voice choked with emotion while interacting with doctors, paramedical staff, and other frontline health workers of his parliamentary constituency Varanasi.

Global coverage of Modi government’s handling of the pandemic in India.

But will this emotional appeal persuade the people of India? It’s difficult to say, but the answer to this is probably a no because PM Modi’s handling of a catastrophic second wave in India revealed it all. This monumental tragedy could have been averted, but what BJP chose was difficult to understand and was extremely obnoxious. Here’s a list of few instances when famed personalities from the BJP used unscientific hacks to drive away from the novel coronavirus from India. A recent comment from BJP MP Pragya Thakur went viral on social media where she stated that drinking gau mutra (cow urine) can prevent COVID-19. She also added that she drinks cow urine because of which she doesn’t require any medicine to cure the infection. A similar claim came in from BJP MLA from Uttar Pradesh Surendra Singh who stated that cow urine has protected him from COVID-19 and further he recommends people to ‘drink cow urine with a glass of cold water’.

Usha Thakur, Culture Minister of Madhya Pradesh on March 7, 2021, claimed that the ritual burning of cow dung cakes can keep a house sanitized for 12 hours. On 19th May, a BJP leader from UP’s Meerut performed a havan and spread its smoke around a neighborhood to stop the spread of the virus. Can an educated person believe in these bizarre instances for stopping the spread of the virus that has globally wreaked havoc?

It’s a complete breakdown of the nation under the leadership of Narendra Modi. There are a lot more reasons that this breakdown has happened, but each of it went unnoticed after a certain period, but this pandemic had a jarring effect and has unfolded many wrongs of this government and perspicuously many wrongs of Narendra Modi, a man that more than the majority of people believe to be always righteous in his actions for the nation.

PM Modi built a cult of personality as India’s Prime Minister, and he is known to approach issues through the prism of emotion and symbolism, and the decisions he has made have turned out to be ‘monumental blunders’ be it of demonetization because of which people suffered a lot but still trusted the man, then the blunder of half-baked implementation of GST, and now, the sudden enforcement of a national lockdown during the first wave of the novel Coronavirus; all of these instances show the impulsiveness of PM Modi in taking decisions.

If all of the stated factors of impulsiveness, obnoxiousness, and playing on the cards of religion stays, then we, as citizens of India, need to think again when we vote for our leaders. We don’t want a cult and a whimsical personality as the leader of India because it’s the leader who people look up to. If this remains the case, then the repercussions will be paid by the people of India themselves.

More from Kashish Singh

By Poornima

By Accountability Initiative