This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mohit Nimal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Sexually Transmitted infection are very easy to treat if you know This.

More from Mohit Nimal

Something everyone should know about STD.

STD means Sexually Transmitted Disease by STI( Sexually Transmitted Infection).

You may have heard about HIV, I know that but there are more than 30 STD till now we have discovered.

A few are here and many of these are more common than HIV.

Bacterial= Gonorrhoea, Syphilis, Chancroid, Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, Gardnerella vaginalis, and Trichomonas etc.

Fungal= Candida.

Parasitic= Pediculosis pubis, Pubis lice, Donovanosis, and Scabies etc.

Viral= HPV, HBV, HCV, HSV and your favourite HIV.

Other= Bacterial Vaginosis.

So these are agents that can cause infection in vagina and other pelvic organs.
When infection in pelvic organs happens then following symptoms can occur:

1. Vaginal discharge that can be red, white, watery, green yellow, brown and curd like etc.
2. Different odour.
3. Bleeding.
4. Swelling around vagina/vulva/anus. That can be painful or painless.
5. Ulcer.
6. Lower abdominal pain.
7. Fever.
8. Itching.
9. Dyspareunia (pain during sexual intercourse).
10. Blister
11. Sores
12. Rashes.
13. Painful bubo.
14. Dysuria( Pain during urination).
15. Increase frequency of urination.
16. Urgency ( Unable to hold urine for a short period of time).
17. Mass on lower abdomen area.
18. New onset Dysmenorrhoea (Painful Periods).

So if you have any of these symptoms, you should seek the medical help. Now to diagnose exact cause of infection, doctor will put about 1 foot long swab inside your vagina to collect the specimen.
I know if doctor do this, no patient will ever go again to doctor due to stigma, also patient will stop her friends/family members to go because of this long swab examination.

But healthcare provider also humans and knows these things. So they have developed a beautiful way to deal with STD, that is called Syndromic Approach.

In Syndromic Approach, patient comes to hospital, doctor only finds all sign/ symptoms. Then match the causative agent with sign and symptoms. It’s effective because every agent has it’s own sign and symptoms. Different Categories has made based on these sign and symptoms. So doctor categorise the patient and put under different categories.
There are KITS has been made for each different category and each KIT contains all required drugs for that category means for agents of that category.

Why Syndromic Approach is effective?
Because
1. No stigma as health care provider don’t touch the patient. Discharge May be examined only.
2. Drugs are very effective and covers most of the agents.
3. Treatment can be provided at lower level like Primary health center, ICTC center, Community health center or even at home.
4. Treatment can be provided by Asha worker, ANM, MPW.
5. If doctor do a full diagnostic workup by examination of vaginal swab and find the cause, then treatment will be same.
6. Time saving.
7. Resources saving.

If someone ignore the symptoms due to stigma then following complications can occur:

Infertility,
Pelvic inflammatory disease,
damage of genital organs,
Fistula,
Abortion,
Ectopic pregnancy,
Congenital defect in newborn,
Cervical cancer,
Oral cancer, Genital tumors,
Genital/Oral warts,
Sepsis and Death.

If someone has infection other than HIV then chance of getting HIV also increases.

In Trichomonas infection, both partners should be treated otherwise infection will recur.

Always maintain genital hygiene, safe sex.

Note: Always look your symptoms in detail like amount of discharge, color, odor, all symptoms I have listed above so that doctor make correct diagnosis and best treatment provided to you.

Read the NACO guidelines..
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://naco.gov.in/sites/default/files/National_Guidelines_on_PMC_of_RTI_Including_STI%25201.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjOtbSQsO7wAhVzmuYKHYyxAr0QFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2x7ULlcP1STWYdhB-28q2q

Thank you ❤️!! VANDE MATARAM 🇮🇳!!

More from Mohit Nimal

By Abhishek Karadkar

By Heena Shah

By Ishika Satwika Singh