This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by rakchit mishra. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Israel Vs Palestine Conflict: How Much More Land Is Left To Be Reclaimed?

More from rakchit mishra

In the year 1948, Palestine was partitioned by the British and a new country was founded at that time, Israel. At the time of partition in 1948, some of the land was given to the Palestine, while some was given to Israel. The remaining land was given to Jerusalem, which is neither a part of Israel nor Palestine; instead, it was controlled by the UN.

But after the partition, the Palestinians were not happy and wanted their country back; this led to a fight between Israel and Palestine, in between whom the battle was always won by Israel as they have always been more powerful in terms of armed forces and weapons. Both the countries fought many a times to reclaim the land, but it was Israel who won all the battles and kept on capturing more and more of the land officially allotted to the Palestinians.

From the time of the partition till today, Jerusalem has been an Israeli district generally administered by Israelis. But this is not the actual case, rather, it is based on the place named Sheikh Jarrah, which is nearer to the Jerusalem. So, as of now, both countries are fighting for Sheikh Jarrah. Israel is claiming that all Palestinians should be removed from Sheikh Jarrah as it is their land, but on the other hand, Palestinians say that they have been living in Sheikh Jarrah for a longer period of time. They deny Israel’s claim and say that the land in Sheikh Jarrah belongs to the Palestinians only.

The truth is that 150 years ago, the land of Sheikh Jarrah was sold by the Palestinians at a higher price to the Israelis. So now, the Supreme Court of Israel has said that the land of Sheikh Jarrah belongs to Israelis, and all Palestinians should be removed from the place.

Palestine flag as part of a protest.

Israel sent its armed forces in the al Aqsa masjid, assuming that they can create disturbance as Palestinians were asked to leave Sheikh Jarrah. So now, Palestinians started fighting with the armed forces of Israel where a lot of Palestinians were injured. As happened earlier, after Israel captured most of the land allotted to Palestine by winning battles, Palestine got further divided into two parts — Gaza and the Western bank.

It is surprising that both Jerusalem and Sheikh Jarrah are located in the westerns bank but the main fight, i.e. of attacking rockets, is being done from Gaza, and not the western bank. This is because in Gaza, there exists a militant group named Hamas, who generally attacks at Israel with the help of rockets, but it is impossible to destroy Israel as they have an iron dome that detects short-range rockets and destroy them as well before it lands in their country. This is a powerful technique used by Israel to protect their country.

The Hamas know that it is not easy to destroy or attack Israel, so now, they are attacking it with the maximum number of rockets in Israel because, for example, if 10 rockets are attacked in Israel then out of 10 such rockets, one may fall in Israel and destroy a particular place because iron dome is not so perfect that it would get detected all those rockets due to which some people are getting killed in Israel.

Even Hamas is attacking with the maximum number of rockets in Israel, only because of the reason that they want their portion of the land from Israel, but they will not succeed in this battle as Israel is a powerful country with lots of armed forces and weapons due to which it can destroy Palestine as a whole.

So, this is the reason behind the conflicts between Palestine and Israel.

More from rakchit mishra

By ED Times

By Arnav kaushik

By Priyanka Meena