This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Lochan Sharma. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

‘Uyare’ Movie Review: Reflecting On Women’s Space and Redefining Beauty

Trigger Warning: Mention of emotional ab*se, su*cide

How difficult is it for a boy to understand that if a woman feels suffocated, women want to take a break to know herself better, to know where her relationship is going off track and that her personal space is important at that point in a relationship to decide on what could be done for both of them, or at least have a discussion of it in near future?

But the exigency and gravity of ‘space’ is a matter of concern, observed as a very common reason for falling out of a relationship across all ages, not just youth, but some arranged marriages who realize it quite late in their lives and becomes one of the important causes of midlife crises.

Uyare' team releases video of Parvathy's make-up session | The News Minute
Representative image only.

This space is not indicative of the presence or absence of an individual, but emotional, psychological, spiritual room for oneself, governed by one’s own thoughts, one’s own principles, and choices. No matter how close you are to a person, that room must be owned only and only by you. It is a place which you own, for your own. Any other person meddling with it, trying to raid will bear the brunt.

Uyare is one such story that will walk you through the struggle of a woman to keep up with that ‘space’ in a relationship. Interestingly the character, Pallavi, represents an ambitious, strong, zealous, bright girl, who in her early years had this unwavering passion to be a pilot, and while determined, life will correspond in that direction. On the contrary, she is pigeon-hearted, reticent, and debilitated when it comes to her relationships.  Not discussing the intrusion of her proprietorial boyfriend into her space, rather falling in emotional prey to revert back his support by manoeuvring it from falling apart.

Pallavi and Govind's bond is enviable: Check out the new poster from 'Uyare' | Malayalam Movie News - Times of India
Representative image only.

Her counterpart, Govind, reflects the honest but worse realities of a patriarchal mind. He cannot stand the types of clothes Pallavi wore for a dance event, her passion, her own career, her family’s interest in their relationship, her moving away to a metropolitan city, her not picking up calls, her not encouraging him for his dream job, her unavailability when he has to share something good as she is busy in her training, her making friends, in a way, her doing anything with and about her own life.

And, this conflict of a patriarchal mind with a woman willing to pursue her life triggers a man to the core, pushing him to die by suicide, warns her of ending his life, or punishes her by throwing acid. This disgusts me to the core! But this is the sad reality of our country where a woman’s life is a joke to a man!

Interesting two institutions would appear to play a very opposite role. One being the family, her father who stands with her, and without-her-for-her since the very beginning. But to the contrary, our judiciary mocks acid victims on their faces. Justice is unviable! Additionally, her impairment dominated her skill to fly, shattering her forever passion to be a pilot.

On a positive note, this movie sets a new standard of defining beauty. As Vishal says, to define beauty is not enough to have a brain and heart to be beautiful. There are many such warm statements, that keep up the intellectual quotient of the movie. My personal favourite moment was when the man in flight hugged Pallavi for her brave act of saving lives by leading the flight as a captain in all unfavourable that occurred on her last flight.

I would very much recommend this movie, Uyare, which would touch and strengthen your hearts. I will be happy to have your views about it.

More from Lochan Sharma

By Rapti Mukherjee

By varun pratap

By Love Matters India