This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Herrah. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How Do We Put An End To Child Labour In India?

More from Herrah

The phrase “child labour” is frequently characterised as employment that deprives children of their youth, potential and dignity, and is destructive to their physical and mental development. It refers to labour in which it:

• Is intellectually, physically, socially or morally hazardous and damaging to children.
  • Interferes with their education by denying them the chance to attend school, forcing them to leave school early, or asking them to combine school attendance with excessively lengthy and heavy work.
india child labour
Representative Image.

Whatever the reason, child labour exacerbates socioeconomic inequality and prejudice while depriving girls and boys of their youth. Unlike activities that help children develop, such as helping with light housework or working during school breaks, child labour restricts access to schooling and impairs a kid’s physical, mental and social development.

The “triple load” of education, job and home responsibilities, especially for girls, increases their risk of falling behind, rendering them even more vulnerable to poverty and isolation.

Education is a vital component of a child’s development since it helps youngsters gain the abilities they need to succeed in today’s society. However, early work hinders youngsters from attending school and acquiring such skills. Most of the time, these youngsters are under a lot of pressure to provide for their family since there is no other source of money in the family.

Furthermore, the psychological repercussions of child labour are frequently as severe as the physical impacts, which can result in long-term traumas. Children who have witnessed horrendous acts of violence may develop mental diseases such as despair, guilt, anxiety, lack of confidence and hopelessness as they grow older.

Despite economic growth, India confronts a huge poverty problem, with more than a third of the country’s population living below the poverty line. Due to poor living circumstances, low-income levels and a lack of employment diversification, impoverished families have little choice but to put their children to work rather than teach them. These youngsters are frequently sold by their parents to child traffickers in order to reduce their financial burden and earn additional money.

How Do We Put An End To Child Labour?

child labour
Representative Image.
  • Raise awareness:

Parental understanding of the dangers of child labour can help prevent disruptions in school and the forced labour of children. Due to parents’ lack of understanding, child traffickers prey on children and many trafficked youngsters wind up working as minors.

Communities that are aware can better understand and respond to the problems that children face. Awareness also assures that communities take advantage of chances for growth, education, employment and enterprise, resulting in a more socially and economically developed society with fewer children suffering.

• Stricter legislation and rigorous enforcement:

Long-term societal change necessitates policymaking and campaigning for better laws necessitates articulating how change might be beneficial.

Civil society initiatives have provided lakhs of children with the resources to live a dignified life in which they can love their childhood. Fighting child labour necessitates a multi-pronged approach and the issue must be made a people’s issue. While officials and the government can only implement policies, everyday child abuse and malnutrition must be addressed on an individual level (Pehchaan The Street School) whenever possible.

Featured Image by billy cedeno from Pixabay

More from Herrah

By Kulwinder Kaur

By SAANS leaders

By Mrittika Mallick