This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nitya Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Are Some Misogynistic Things Men Pass Off As “It’s Just A Joke” ?

More from Nitya Singh

We live in the 21st century where we believe in an egalitarian society. Such a society where we shouldn’t need women empowerment and gender equality as we would achieve it by the time. But the fun fact resides here that we do not need it because society does not believe in it. It’s been many decades since when suffrage movement has started and people around the world have contributed to it but the effect of it on the people is less than 1%, to say the least. We have arrived in such a time period where disgracing a woman, making misogynist comment, questioning sexuality, sexual molestation, making fun of empowered women is “just a joke”.

We look up to egalitarian society but we haven’t reached even the first step of it. An egalitarian society is one such society where man, woman and trans individuals are equal. There is no question and incidents of inequalities. But this hasn’t been the case. Woman are mocked at every possible stage they go through. Since childhood, misogynist and sexist comment made in the light of jokes. Let’s go through some of them.

Women ask for equality but they also want reservations. Oops! It’s just a joke.

omen and they have justified it by claiming that the Lord has made us stronger for a reason. And now when women have taken a step towards gender equality, instead of supporting them to remorse the crimes they have committed, they take advantage and demoralise women. Women do not ask for male support and the least males can do is to support them but they mock them by claiming the above mentioned. Obviously, how can they be okay with reservation when they do have to face monthly menstruation, breast ache, character assassination on a daily basis.

Women are so weak that they cry at every point. Oops! It’s just a joke

I really have no idea what makes men associate weakness with crying as if that they haven’t cried when they were born or were fallen when they played in childhood. But when women do it, it makes them a cry-baby.

Women backbite a lot- aunty! Oops! It’s just a joke

Aunty is a sexist comment to an unprecedented level. What makes people justify a person who backbites with the word Aunty? As if that men haven’t in their entire life backbite.

Women are good at household chores. Oops! It’s just a joke

The biggest stereotype around the globe. Women are trained to be good at household chores since no matter how successful we become, we have to come home and do the dishes.

Feminists are equal to the F word. Oops! It’s just a joke

When men cannot tolerate empowered taking the throne they have been sitting through merit they mock it and make fun of all the moment who have sacrificed a greater part of their life to empower more women. Feminists have nothing to do with femininity. It conveys the message that everyone, irrespective of their gender is equal.

Educated woman ain’t good wives and daughters. Oops! It’s just a joke

It is true since the gender inequalities begin at home and the definition of being good wives and daughters is taking oppression,  inequality, sexism and misogyny onto themselves which an educated woman won’t. 

And the things that the third gender has to go through breaks my heart and makes my mouth silent. The absolute obnoxious comment like “Chakka”, “Namard”, “Hijada” etc. And often these comments are made to demean and degrade someone; as abuse which is toxic, to say the least.

More from Nitya Singh

By Shabeena Anjum

By Martha Farrell Foundation

By Samaira Guleria