This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mohammad Sher Ali. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Opinion: Narendra Modi Is The Worst Prime Minister In India’s History

More from Mohammad Sher Ali

I think the worst Prime Minister India has seen is Narendra Modi. Modi is not a Prime Minister. In fact, he is a robot of the RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh), who I call trouser boys. They are very determined to make India a “Hindu Rashtra”.

In my opinion, Modi’s moves are very idiotic. He is an enemy of the common people but a Prime Minister for the corporates. His economic moves like Demonetisation and GST are the biggest blunders ever that affected businesses in India. He needs to have some shame because he does not have the guts to take steps against billionaires and millionaires like Ambani, Adani or Mallya.

PM Modi addressing rally
Representative Image. Source: Wikimedia Commons

He tried to get out black money, but he couldn’t get the money that these millionaires and billionaires borrowed, and he is looting people’s money through Demonetisation and GST.

He also brought the NEET Exam, one of the worst exams, which impacted aspiring doctors from villages and other backward classes. He is also trying to destroy other identities in India by imposing Hindi and brainwashing people. They succeeded in this in the Northern Region of India. They are also trying to Saffronise India, which is not good for a multi-religion, multi-linguistic and multi-cultural country like India.

I hope Modi does not become the Prime Minister of India again.

Dear Bhakthas, who are following Modi, you all have a brain, so don’t follow Modi blindly and think about his government and what can be fixed and don’t just rage on what I said; accept others opinions.

The PMO and various other departments spend a considerable amount of government funds advertising their flagship schemes and policies. However, peeling off the carefully constructed facade reveals the deeper, darker and disastrous truth. Most of PM Modi’s so-called “development” schemes have failed at several key stages, including the launch.

The most recent in the litany of failed government schemes is the high powered electric locomotive.

If the lessons of the last 4 years could be distilled into a single sentence, it would be this: The Modi government has been undeniably and gravely harmful to our nation’s health. On every conceivable metric, it has failed and every single citizen has had to pay a heavy price for the Modi brand of misgovernance.

Let us start with the economy — one of the biggest casualties of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s tenure. Modi has lumbered on from one ill-advised and poorly thought out decision to another. The senseless execution of demonetisation cost us ₹3 lakh crore in GDP growth and wiped out over 25 lakh jobs, while a hastily implemented GST penalised entrepreneurship.

The banking system, which was hailed for its resilience in the face of the 2008 global financial crisis, has been a victim of feeble oversight and poor policy planning. The results for the last quarter indicate a net loss of over ₹44,000 crores, the highest in recorded history for our banks.

Vijay Mallya and Nirav Modi
Vijay Mallya and Nirav Modi.

This is a direct consequence of the numerous economic offenders who have fled with impunity on BJP’s watch with over ₹1 lakh crore of public money. Unfortunately, the government has done precious little to affix accountability and course-correct institutional framework.

All of the above has made an already inept government all the more desperate for revenues. Since 2014, international oil prices have been at a historic low. Any other government with the barest of concern for its people would have passed on the benefit to the public by reducing petrol and diesel prices.

Instead, this government chose to increase central excise taxes (by over 200% on petrol and over 400% on diesel) to make oil costlier than it has ever been and collected over ₹10 lakh crore by way of this cruel exercise in unjust enrichment. This exercise has proven bankruptcy of ideas and lack of concern for the people the government is meant to serve.

The re-introduction of a regressive long terms capital gains tax (abolished by the UPA), the surreptitious levy of Swachh Bharat, education and Krishi Kalyan cess, along with the reduction of interest rates on savings to a low of 3.5%, has ensured that the government has eroded every avenue of savings for the middle class. This is not an opinion but a verifiable fact.

The shortage of jobs continues to be the biggest challenge facing this government. Having misled the public (and probably itself) on the creation of jobs through “Mudra loans” for over three and a half years, Modi finally acknowledged the need to do something about it by constituting an “Economic Council” in January of this year. Unfortunately, this council is yet to provide a solution.

There is no constituency that the PM has failed in greater measure than farmers. Agricultural growth over the past 4 years has been at its lowest since economic reforms began. At a growth rate of 1.9%, the promise of doubling farmers’ incomes seems like an insensitive taunt. To put this in context, the average growth rate of agricultural income under UPA was 4.2%.

Farmers who gave their lives for a fairer price for their produce became victims of verbal jugglery. When the finance minister announced that the government would pay minimum support price plus 50% profit, it turned out to be a mirage, with rates for various produce being far below what was paid during UPA’s tenure. Even now, it is impossible to find a mandi where the promised rates are paid for any product.

On the one hand, different agricultural commodities (pulses) were imported in bumper years. On the other hand, import duties for wheat were cut down to zero. These measures forced a sharp decline in already low farmers’ incomes since they had to slash prices to find buyers for their produce. To compound this further, agricultural exports fell by over $9 billion. This is a failure of policymaking that borders on criminal negligence.

Kashmir CRPF stand guard
Representative Image.

This is nothing to say of the government’s failures on internal and external security. The “Doval Doctrine” has produced a confused policy of engagement towards Pakistan while resulting in the highest number of martyrs from our forces and civilian casualties in operations in Kashmir. The dysfunctional BJP-PDP alliance aggravated the situation by presiding over a period of unprecedented unrest.

Insofar as China is concerned, we continue to engage in “informal discussions without an agenda” while China proceeds unchecked with the construction of a full-fledged industrial complex in north Doklam and a motorable road to south Doklam overlooking the “Chicken’s Neck”. At the same time, China vetoes India’s bid to become a part of the Nuclear Suppliers Group. The China policy is unclear even to policymakers.

As we enter the final year of this government’s unenviably lacklustre term, it is clear that the public is fatigued by the relentless self-promotion; the constant prioritising of elections over the administration, and above all, the emptiness of a man who promised so much and delivered so very little.

PM Modi initiated the Swachh Bharat mission to achieve Gandhi Ji’s dream of sanitation and cleanliness for all. However, the reality is a far cry from the narrative being spun by the government. A parliamentary committee report dismissed the claim that 84% of rural households were open defecation free and had functional toilets.

The report stated that building toilets was simply not enough. There needs to be a systematic approach to educate people on the need for proper sanitation. It is only when people begin to use the toilets being built that India will truly be open defecation free.

On the other hand, further reports reveal that the so-called toilets being built are hardly worth the name in many cases. In most cases, the toilets have no running water, shelter or drainage system, making them merely a hole in the ground.

Modi rally
Representative Image.

Here are the facts, the Modi government has failed to deliver on its most basic promises and almost all of its grander ones. We were promised bullet trains and smart cities, assured economic stability and increased growth, and most importantly, promised development — we have been failed on all fronts.

The Modi government spends thousands of crores advertising their many schemes but is unable to deliver on them, proving how completely disconnected the government and its leader is from the ground reality. We need jobs, education, healthcare and support for our farmers; flashy billboards and failed bullet trains will not fool us anymore.

• The Modi government has failed to push critical reform statutes like the GST and the Land Bill (PTI).
  • Failed to clean up the tax and arbitration mess (PTI).
  • Has not been able to take a decision on gas pricing or cutting subsidies (PTI).
  • Has not succeeded in improving the business environment in India (PTI).
  • Has not presented a plan to capitalise on global turmoil to attain higher growth (PTI).
  • Has not been able to effect a turnaround in the government’s functioning and decision-making processes (PTI).
  • Has been high on promises but low on delivery. Big-ticket plans like Make-in-India, Digital India, and Smart Cities, among others that have been announced, need policy support, which is missing (PTI).
  • Still has to find ways to improve electricity supply, tax administration (PTI).
  • Clearance processes both at the Central as well as state-level are still awaiting improvement (PTI).
  • How serious the Narendra Modi government is about effecting change is clear from the fact that it is yet to start fixing timelines for various policy measures. Will this meeting also turn out to be just a ritual or throw up solutions? Keep checking this space (PTI).

The BJP has done a great job at spreading some specific messages with incredibly effective propaganda, and these messages are the primary reason I can’t support the party anymore. But before we get into any of that, I’d like everyone to understand that no party is totally bad, and no party is totally good. All governments have done some good and messed up on some fronts. This government is no different.

More from Mohammad Sher Ali

By Sohel Ahmed Khan

By Krishna Singh