This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Prabhat Misra. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Who Are The Prakrati Mitra (Friends Of Nature) And What Do They Do?

More from Prabhat Misra

Prakrati Mitra is that person who is taking climate action, working to protect ecosystems and helping to change climate change for a better and protected Nature and better future. Prakrati Mitra campaign is a special mission, by a group of thousands of teachers from under the umbrella of Teachers Club Uttar Pradesh and Mission Shikshan Samvad along with the Red Tape Movement, to work at the grassroots level for the conservation and protection of Nature.

Logo Of Prakrati Mitra campaign

In this campaign, the participating Teachers will be referred to as Prakriti Mitra. Thousands of teachers from northern India will participate. Teachers will act for Nature with their personal resources only and so needs no funding. Teachers Club and Red Tape Movement are working together for many years for environmental protection to save trees, forests, biodiversity and ecosystems. 

Program Description 

This year, Mission Shikshan Samvad will start the Friends Of Nature mission from 05th June and will end on 15th August 2021. The detailed description is as below:

1- Preparation of pits for the plantation:

Between 5th June (World Environment Day) to 15th June, the Prakriti Mitra (teachers) will finalise the place of the plantation, dig the pits and fill the dogged pits with the mixture of compost or fertilizers and soil.

2- Plantation: 

Image provided by the author.

Plantation of trees in the dug pits will be done between June 15 and June 30. Plantation of the following tree species will be given priority which not only sinks carbon dioxide and acts as a source of oxygen but also emits antiviral “Volatile Organic Compounds” (VOCs) and are homes of biodiversity.

VOCs are known to act on viral protein targets namely ACE-2 (Angiotensin-converting enzyme-2) receptor, 3CLpro (3 chymotrypsin-like proteases), PLpro (Papain-like protease), RdRp (RNA-dependent RNA polymerase) enzyme and other known factors through which viruses gain entry into the human cell and complete the life cycle.

These tree species are Neem (Azadirachta indica), Amaltas (Cassia fistula), Mango (Mangifera indica), Bargad (Ficus benghalensis), Pipal (Ficus religiosa), Gular (Ficus glomerata), Semal (Bombax malabaricum), Peela Kaner ( Nerium), Arjun (Terminalia arjuna), Imli (Tamarindus indica), Jamun (Syzygium jambolanum), Amrood (Psidium guajava), Ashok (Polyalthia longifolia), Bakain (Melia azedarach), Gulhar (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), Rubber (Ficus elastica), Sisam (Dalbergia sissoo), Lasoora (Cordia dichotoma), Bottle Brush (Callistemon lanceolatus), Toot (Morus alba), Papri (Pongamia glabra), Saptaparni (Alstonia scholaris), Siras (Albizzia lebbek) etc. 

This will help in making an “Oxygen Bank Of Trees” in our homes and surroundings, help in maintaining our own health, produce antiviral VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), sink Carbon Dioxide, provide homes to biodiversity and ChangeClimateChange. I think humans have enough room for at least one plant, starting from potted plants to full trees.

3- Care After Plantation: 

The next step of the campaign will be regular care of plants from 01st July to 10th August by giving water and nutrients. Prakrati Mitra will replace the dead saplings by planting new saplings. Care After Plantation is the third most important part of their campaign.

Protect Our Future. Save Forests, Change Climate Change, Stop Deforestation and Care After Plantation to control disease outbreaks and to save biodiversity. Image provided by the author.

4- Awareness through Red Tapes on Existing Trees: 

Red Tape Movement in Uttar Pradesh, in 2019. Teachers and students are taking an oath to save Nature. Image provided by the author.

Between 11th August and 15th August, the Prakrati Mitra will organise Red Tape Movement; they will tie red tapes on existing trees trunks and will take an oath to save existing trees and newly planted saplings till the attainment of tree level. 

Oath By Prakrati Mitra

Every teacher of the campaign will act as Prakrati Mitra in their whole life. It has been requested that every Prakrati Mitra will adopt at least one tree, may give a name to that tree on a family member’s name and will treat that tree as a family member of that Prakrati Mitra who has adopted that tree.

If any Prakrati Mitra does not have a place for plantation, then such Prakrati Mitra will bring two big pots at home, and will plant Tulsi in one pot and Giloy in another pot; both these plants are of medicinal value and will save the family. The motto of this campaign is also to end the “Plant Blindness” of humans and make them aware of plants, forests, biodiversity and the ecosystem.

This campaign is for the welfare of humanity and for a better future through better nature. The campaign will be dedicated in honour of two personalities; one our late and very young green warrior Vishal Yadav who lost his life last year and another to the Founder member of Chipko Movement late Sundar Lal Bahuguna who died recently. 

Any person, group or organization may participate in this campaign, and post the pics on the Facebook page of this campaign. Such person, group or organization will also be issued a certificate. 

Nature loves you and works for you; it is our fundamental duty to work for Nature and make a sustainable world where humans live with Nature and its biodiversity with love, peace and unity. Ecosystems are the soul and source of life on Earth, let’s come and save these.

Let’s come and make a better world for all. Image provided by the author.

Note: The article was originally written & published on June 05, 2021, at YKA.

More from Prabhat Misra

By Ena Zafar

By Pavki Pahwa

By Kriti Atwal