This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Internshala. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Preparing For Your First Coding Interview? Here Are A Few Things That Could Help

More from Internshala

Availability of career opportunities in the technology domain, especially for roles in programming, coding, web development and mobile app development, witnessed a drastic boost in the past few years. Our reliance on electronic devices, businesses’ inevitable requirement to have a well-developed website and mobile app, growth of e-commerce and globalisation, and changing user preferences, are a few reasons why vacancies in the technology field are increasing. 

students learning coding
Representative Image. Source: Wikimedia Commons

While there are different technology roles you could work in, coding is an underlying skill for a majority of IT jobs. Coding is the process of writing codes. Codes convert human language inputs into binary or hexadecimal machine language and vice versa. This helps the coder/programmer inputting minor to major commands like searching, opening or closing tabs, selecting or deleting, ordering food, booking flights, paying bills, and much more so that the system can process and produce the relevant output.

Opting For Coding As A Career

As stated above, coding is a prominent part of the IT sector and is a lucrative, in-demand and extensively growing career opportunity. Coders are an essential asset of new-age digitally equipped organisations as they help companies attract smart modern users, gain credibility, have cost-effective solutions, rank higher on search results, beat the competition, build better market presence, expand and cater to a wider set of people. 

Knowledge of coding helps you grab the software, web and app development jobs of your pick. It highlights your technical soundness, makes your job application stand out and makes you competent in securing freelancing jobs. With profound coding skills, you can work with internationally renowned organisations or can start your own business. You can build essential problem-solving, analytical and critical thinking, logic and collaboration and interpersonal skills required for a successful career in almost every field. 

As a coding expert, you can work in different industries and organisations, from an intern or associate level to senior-level roles. You can work remotely, in-office, part-time or full-time and on a contractual basis. A few roles that you can apply to include software engineer, data scientist, front-end, back-end or full-stack developer, project manager, UI/UX designer, DevOps professional, mobile app developer and database developer. 

How Are Coding Interviews Different?

To work in your dream organisation and get the coding role of your choice, a prerequisite is to have a combination of essential soft and hard skills, including practical knowledge of coding. These skills can help you crack your first interview.

unemployable youth in india
Representative Image.

While non-technical interviews generally focus on understanding your past work experience, communication and interpersonal skills, confidence and ability to tackle different situations, among other soft skills, technical interviews will have all this, plus an assessment of your expertise in coding and problem-solving skills. 

The recruiters will ask you about algorithmic concepts; you will have to produce (working) code within the given time and explain your thought process behind it during the interview. The interview revolves around major computer science concepts such as the basics of coding language, algorithms, data structures and design patterns. Furthermore, the complexity of questions differs based on the job profile and its level of seniority. 

Preparing For Coding Interviews Under The Guidance Of A Professional

Preparing for your first coding interview could be a complicated affair as the availability of resources, tips, instructions and real-life interview experience narratives is scarce. Within 45–60 minutes of a technical interview, you have to prove that you are the right fit for the role, fulfil the company’s expectations and showcase both practical and soft skills. 

As a coder or programmer, if you find it difficult to start your interview preparation, you can choose to learn from an expert through online training. There are dedicated training programs that help you ace your coding interviews, land multiple interviews, write a resume, solve complicated problems and write optimised code. 

Through the training, you learn about Big-O Notation, arrays, strings, linked lists, stacks and queues, hashtables, hashgraphs, dynamic programming and other necessary concepts to crack your interview.

The training generally features videos, text chapters, quizzes, code challenges, assignments and learnings from the instructor’s personal interview experiences at top IT companies. You solve around 100 coding questions and attempt end-of-the-module tests and assignments that help you practice all the concepts and make it easier for you to attend any of these questions if asked during an interview. 

Courtesy: Internshala Trainings, e-learning platform to learn new-age skills from Internshala

More from Internshala

By Ungender Legal Advisory

By Ria Gupta

By Internshala