This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ananya Bhuyan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Pride Month And The Importance Of Acceptance For The LGBTQ Community

More from Ananya Bhuyan

“We are born with intelligence, we can be born with LGBTQ.”

What Is LGBTQ?

LGBTQ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning. This list does not include all of the people in the community. It is also bi-sexual, and gender identities and behaviours. In addition, the “Q” stands for “Queer,” which is also a sexual identity and behaviour that goes beyond the traditional sexual and gender tags, labels, roles and expectations.

It is important to keep in mind is that the word “no” has historically been used to refer to people in the community. People who identify as “queer” get back to that tag as a person. However, a lot of people in the LGBT community continue to reject the label.

In addition to the terms and conditions, as outlined above, other words can be used to redefine one’s sexual orientation or gender identity. These words and sentences are mainly from Western culture. In non-Western cultures, a wide range of sexual and gender identities and practices have been tagged and categorised by using a variety of languages, which naturally contain a variety of concepts, in comparison to Western women.

It explores the sexuality of LGBT, sexual identity and behaviour, resulting in the confirmation of the identity and experience. In this article, the focus will have a positive impact on the people because of the challenges of being biased beliefs, attitudes and discriminatory policies and practices against the LGBT community.

Parental Support And Its Importance

lgbtqia+ rights
Representative Image.

Parental support has been the foundation for a child’s mental and physical well-being. LGBT young people while coming out to their parents feel uneasy and anxious about whether they will be included. They tend to get discouraged when something like this happens, and in the end, they find themselves in a race to the acceptance of their identity.

If you are a parent and you have a child that identifies as LGBT, what will you choose to do? Will you love your child? Will you hug them and say “That’s okay my child”? The child should be well thought, cared for, supported and respected just as you would any other child. You need to be a great cheerleader for yourself and your child.

You have to get used to it when it is needed, not be insulting when they share their sexual identity with you. As a parent, you must understand what your child is going through. As a parent, you should always appreciate that your child is being honest about their gender identity.

We need to find a place where the GAY parents can be collected. In this way, you can understand your child and give them the knowledge and experience of board meetings.

Connecting with other LGBT parents will help you have a better understanding of the situation. A way for the parents, it is scary for a child. They can feel it and the convicts coming out of you. You as a parent need to feel loved for who you are. You must be a person who is in the values of life as an LGBTQ member, not to discourage them.

For some parents to accept a child and the expression of their love and support, but it still needs time to adapt to it. Most of the parents are somewhere closer to the centre, to begin with, but accept it in time. You can ask questions and have conflicting feelings, many parents do that. Depending upon your religion or cultural beliefs, it can be hard to get them to understand that this is part of a child’s life.

As a parent, the most important role to play in your child’s life is unconditional love and support. It is common for parents of Gay kids (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender). Studies have shown that they are in good health for LGBT teenagers who have family support and the support of peer groups. It let them feel a greater sense of self-worth and empowerment, as well as a reduced risk of depression, hopelessness and drug addiction.

In 2017, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) report on the growth of the LGBT Communities in the Americas, “A survey of 10,000, the identified BI-teens in the age group of 13–17 it turned out that only 24% share their identity. It’s very important to the LGBT young people with a space to interact and be in the midst of making decisions,” said David Jones, a former executive director of the White House, in an Initiative for the Improvement of the Quality of Education for African Americans.

Parents have a unique opportunity to show their support to the LGBT community, for young people, irrespective of their children, and to identify you as a part of the community, or not.

Rights Of The LGBTQ Community

lgbtq rights
Representative Image.

The rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in India have evolved over the past few years. However, India’s LGBT citizens are being confronted with some of the social and legal issues that are of non-LGBT individuals, and not their face. The country has repealed its colonial laws that directly discriminate against gay and transgender people, and explicitly define the scope of the provisions of article 15 of the Constitution, including the prohibition of any discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity.

But in a lot of forms of legal protection, including same-sex marriage, are not included. Transgender people in India have the right to change their legal gender following sex assignment surgery is subject to a law, that, in 2019, will have the right to register as a third gender.

In some states and the protection of Lunar, in the traditional third gender population in South-East Asia, due to the adaptation of the programs, and the provision of social security benefits, pension programs, free of state intervention in the public hospitals and other programs designed to help them. There are about 4,80,000 transgender people in India.

In 2018, a decision by Navtej Singh Johar vs. Union of India, the Supreme Court of India decriminalised consensual homosexual relationships, from the reading of section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, and shall be excluded from the voluntary homosexual sex between adults of the area of application.

Despite the strong political forces in support of the rights of the LGBT community, there is still a significant amount of homophobia in the Indian population; with roughly one out of every four is considered to have no objection to same-sex relationships.

In the 2010s, the LGBT people in India are more tolerant and accepting, mainly in the major cities. Ipsos conducted a study on a multinational company, has published a report on the Global LGBT+Pride ourselves.

In 2021 the Study was conducted between 23 April 23 and 7 May. The findings show that 2% of the Indian population identify as transgender. About sexual orientation, the report shows that 3% of India’s population identifying themselves as Gay (inclusive of lesbians and gay men), 9% identify as bisexual, and 1% identified as pansexual, and 2% identified as Instagram. Only 17% identified as heterosexual (except for the “I don’t know” and “I don’t want to answer”).

Over the past decade, LGBT people have gained more tolerance and acceptance in India, especially in the larger towns and cities. However, the majority of LGBT people in India remain closed for fear of discrimination from their families, who see homosexuality as a sin. Discrimination is still present in rural areas where LGBT people are often faced with the abandonment of their families, and same-sex marriage is not in use.

Acceptance And LGBTQ

lgbtq flag
Representative Image.

It is prohibited to discriminate on the grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth. Normally, men and women have the right to live in this world with respect, then why can’t LGBT people live in their community with the respect. LGBT people are fighting for equal rights and recognition.

Trans people, in particular, are facing great difficulties in the search for approval. People in the LGBT community are always looked down upon. This is a very serious problem; discrimination against the LGBT community is no exception. People are superstitious; they believe that LGBT people are strange and very different.

Today, homosexuality, queer personality, may be acceptable for Indian young people more than ever before, but in families, homes and schools, adoption continues to be an ongoing battle against the LGBT people. I’ve heard of people coming out of the closet and tell their families that they are not what the family expected.

Being L, G, B or T is not a “problem”, nor is it an “option”. LGBT people are just people with different a sexual orientation than what might be seen as “normal”, because of the different behaviours that are learned and, you know, have a personal opinion and a different perspective from others.

To say that it is deliberately wrong for people to have different sexual preferences than to normally is wrong. Article 15 of the Indian Constitution Article prohibits discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth.

Problems Faced By These Groups

The LGBT has grown to be a widely used indicator of national minorities, based on sexual or gender orientation. All of the members of these groups may be susceptible to similar prejudices are rooted in the beliefs and traditions of sexuality and sex in general. LGBTQ members of social minorities are suffering from various forms of social, economic and cultural injustice.

The lack of social recognition is an impact on the ability to access and exercise their rights as citizens. They are more likely to experience intolerance, discrimination, harassment, threats and violence due to their sexual orientation than those who identify themselves as straight.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are more likely to experience intolerance, discrimination, harassment, threats and violence due to their sexual orientation than those who identify themselves as straight. This is due to homophobia (fear or hatred of homosexuality). Some of the factors that drive the growth of homophobia on a larger scale are the moral, religious and political beliefs of the dominant group.

In some countries, homosexuality is illegal and punishable by a fine or term of imprisonment, life imprisonment or even the death penalty. Human sexuality is experienced in a variety of ways and can be either fixed or fluid.

The male/female sexual orientation is more blurred by the existence of transgender people, transgender and intersex persons nominated. Heterosexuality should not be taken to be; this hypothesis will be referred to as heterosexuality. While many societies have made significant progress in the protection of human rights, and the rights of LGBT, people are still fighting for universal recognition.

It is a fact that the united nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, established in 1948, does not include sexual orientation, and in particular, for some people to consider LGBT rights is controversial. However, with the Declaration that “everyone has the right to have all of the rights and freedoms outlined in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind or nature whatsoever”, now, more and more people are openly expressing their sexual orientation may be, to organize and demand their rights.

Thanks to the efforts of these groups and their allies in the LGBT rights have increasingly been recognized all over the world, and some governments are beginning to enact laws supporting the rights of LGBT anti-discrimination laws. High-profile international human rights organizations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch will continue to run an effective campaign.

In the next few years, with the most important issues of LGBT rights on a global scale, the elimination of harassment based on sexual orientation; the protection of the law, hate crimes and hate propaganda; the principle of equal rights and privileges (marriage, partnership, under the common law, as well as medical decision making, and inheritance and property rights, paternity, and adoption), as well as the job and the education of others on the issue of homo and heterosexuality.

pride parade
Representative Image.

Despite this encouraging reality that is firmly rooted, and transphobic, relationships, often in combination with a lack of the right to legal protection against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT ) people of all ages and in all regions of the world, to the gross violations of their human rights.

They are subjected to discrimination in employment, schools and hospitals, and the abuse and the victims and their families. In some 76 countries, discriminatory laws to punish private, consensual same-sex relationships, people that are at risk of arrest, charges, prison, and even, in at least five countries, the death penalty.

Some of the main challenges for the LGBT communities around the world, and is the subject of this article. Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people are faced with enormous challenges, and to grow up in a society where heterosexuality is often touted as the only acceptable approach, while homosexuality, seen to be a form of sexual orientation. They continue to face discrimination and discrimination is all over the world, in all spheres of life.

Violence, and violence against LGBT people, come out regularly. In most of the EU Member States, same-sex couples are not enjoying the same rights and protections as elderly couples, and therefore, suffer from discrimination and poor access to social protection, including health care and pension benefits.

In the job market, most LGBTQ people continue to hide their sexual orientation or face intimidation out of fear of losing their jobs. Particularly affected are LGBTQ-young people’s experience of alienation from family and friends, and acts of violence at school, and invisibility, which, in some cases, can lead to school failure, school dropout, mental illness and homelessness.

Discrimination not only denies LGBT people to have equal access to the basic benefits of social media, such as employment, health, education and housing, but it also marginalises society, and that makes them one of the most vulnerable groups to be socially excluded.

Bullying is one of the main problems for people in the LGBT community. If you see signs of bullying, get in touch with them and support the victim mentally. Bullying let it be a traumatic impact on the child. To help them to get out of it, you will need to approach the situation with caution. For the school to promote queer-friendly groups, help with the situation, as well as a visit to a counsellor, and for every great help to you.

Pride Month And LGBTQ

Homosexual pride or LGBT pride promotes the self-determination, dignity, equality and increasing visibility of homosexuals, gays and transgender (LGBT) people as a social group. Pride, in contrast to stigma and discrimination, is a very important concept that strengthens many LGBT rights movements.

Pride has given its name to LGBT-themed organisations, institutions, foundations, book titles, periodicals, a cable TV channel, and Pride Library.

From grand ceremonies to carnivalesque, pride events are often held during the month of LGBT pride or another season commemorating the changing LGBT world history, for example, the Moscow Pride in May, of the 1993 genocide in Russia. Other pride events include LGBT pride marches and marches, gatherings, memorials, community days, dance parties and festivals.

More from Ananya Bhuyan

By Sumbulkhan Khan

By Bisma Ameen