This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Md Ashif khan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Opinion: What Is The Extent Of Islamophobia In India?

Why do a large number of Hindus in India hate Muslims ? this good for india image ?
Representational Image

The question is based on a false premise that “a large number of Hindus hate Muslims”. No! the vast majority of Hindus are extremely tolerant and accommodating of all non-Hindus and that’s the reason for the thriving religious diversity of India. Roughly 172 million Muslims live in India which is 14% of India’s total population and 18% of the world’s 1.8 billion Muslim population. Muslims have significant representation in all walks of life and they occupy space in all socioeconomic layers of Indian society. I am not totally denying the existence of haters. They exist in all communities. What about the haters in your own community? There’s a continuous cycle of action and reaction which sometimes causes a buildup of negative feelings for which both sides are responsible. When negative feelings are nursed over a long period of time, they become ‘hate’. Most of the time the displeasure Hindus and Muslims show against each other isn’t ‘hate’.

Many Hindus are critical of certain aspects of Muslim behavior but their critical comments do not necessarily amount to “hate”. Hate is extreme animosity or hostility towards a person or group of persons. If a Hindu tells you that he finds the early morning Azaan disturbing or people praying on a busy road annoying, that’s not hate. Even if your own child wakes you up by yelling loudly, you’ll get angry with your child. You won’t hate him.

Maybe you are a social media buff exposed to Hindu-Muslim wrangling on Facebook, YouTube Twitter, etc. In this arena, both sides hurl abuses at each other but Hindus have a much larger presence, hence more comments come from their side, which, if you over-generalize will give you an impression that they despise you. You have a small presence but those few are doing the same as their rivals.

When you are told that you aren’t patriotic enough, your Hindu counterpart is basically expressing his resentment over your refusal to sing a national song or shout a patriotic slogan. Most Muslims are not able to explain the reasons for their denial, therefore the wrong impression is conveyed.

In reality, we are all human. We get affected by others’ behavior. However, we can train ourselves to avoid or at least minimize the negative feelings for fellow human beings. One of the ways to do so is to introspect, look within and ask yourself: “Is my own behavior completely ideal? Am I always right? Is my thinking always rational? Am I spreading love?”. Maybe this will help you understand others’ feelings.

Remember, hate begets hate, but if we break the cycle and choose to love other people, they’ll reciprocate with love.

More from Md Ashif khan

By Anjali joseph

By Samrat Suraj